From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vxi chassy not seen

The configuration :
I have a Teradyne Board Test system with 4 VXI chassy connected togheter, every chassy has is VXI-MXI-2 controller,
also in every chassy we have 10 VXI Teradyne boards.
everything drived from a HP PC pentium-4  2.8 Ghz , and PCI-MXI interface.
Installed NI-VXI 3.3.
VXI-MXI-2 controller   in chassy-0          p/n 183345E-3   rev.003  ECO # 10787
VXI-MXI-2 controller   in chassy-1-2-3    p/n 183345E-3   rev. 2

The problem :
sometime , at the power-on , all the boards in all chassy are not seen, using NI-Measurement&Automation Tool
somethime this appen also during the normal system usage, all the vxi-chassy disappear.

Some test :
trying VXI-MXI-2 controller p/n 183345E-3   rev.003  ECO # 10787, one at the time , in all the 4 chassy,
and cycling off-on-off the power, works all the time, and all the time the boards are seen.

trying
VXI-MXI-2 controller  p/n 183345E-3   rev. 2,
one at the time , in all the 4 chassy, and cycling off-on-off the power,
often the board in the chassy are not seen.

using only chassy-0  with VXI-MXI-2 controller p/n 183345E-3   rev.003  ECO # 10787
connected to the PC , no problem at all.

any revision issues between the controllers and the PC interface ??

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(8,304 Views)

Hi,

There are no revision issue between the controllers and the PC interface, even if this situation seems to be related to a sort of malfunctioning  dued to controller type and host machine. How often daes it happen?

Has this problem been always present since the system starts working with that PC interface?

Have you already try to reinstall NI-VXI on these controllers?

Let's me know.

Riccardo

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(8,244 Views)
hi,

How often daes it happen?   it is very random, sometime the system works for weeks, and in the middle of operations, all the vxi-chassys
                                              are not seen, just disconnect some VXI cables, and run resman, everything is seen again.

Has this problem been always present since the system starts working with that PC interface?   yes,

Have you already try to reinstall NI-VXI on these controllers?  no I did not re-loaded any sw , tell me more on this..

I have also the suspect of the system power supply generating the voltage for the VXI chassys, but already replaced and monitored.

thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(8,234 Views)
hello,
additional info that make me suspicius on the hardware, is that with only the PC connected to 1 vxi-mxi slot-0 controller,
in 1 vxi chassy, ( instead of 4 slot-0 controller connected),
everything is seen all the time, no random  problem at all.

thanks and regards
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(8,229 Views)

Hi,

Have you already verify that the configuration procedure of VXI-MXI-2 has been realized correctly?

Is an unique local address  associated to every chassi? Concerning this aspect, you can find a guideline at this link:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=350&message.id=1133

Besides, what daes it happen exactly? The chassi  or the boards inside disappear?

Let's me know.

Kind regards.

Riccardo 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(8,209 Views)

Are you by chance using removable hard drives?

Have you contacted Teradyne directly about this issue?

Best regards,

Kevin C.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(7,924 Views)