From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do you have a list of supported external scsi drives for the VXIpc-850

We need more disk space for our VXIpc-850. A FAQ in your knowledge base says to use an external SCSI drive. Where can I find one that will work with the VXIpc-850?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,592 Views)

Hi pDub:

If you have a look at page 1-8 of the VXIpc 800 Series User Manual the table states that the device has an external SCSI-2 connection for hard drives.  So any drive you can find with this connection should work.

Regards,

Emilie S.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,577 Views)

Thanks, but it's still not clear on which drives will work. Do I have to worry about whether the drive is SCSI-2, SCSI-3, Utra-SCSI? Also, the VXIpc-850 has a non-standard SCSI connector (36-pin). It appears most SCSI connectors are 50-pin or 68-pin. Do you have an adapter cable that can be used for connecting to a SCSI-2 device?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,576 Views)

Hi pDub:

National Instruments does not sell andy SCSI drives or adapters.  You will need to find a drive that has a 36-pin SCSI-2 connector unless you can find some sort of adapter for the number of pins.

Regards,

Emilie S.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,573 Views)
Pdub,

The connector on the 850 is in actuality not a 36-pin but a 50-pin SCSI-2 connector. This is a misprint in the documentation. Sorry for the inconvenience. I'm sure you'll have better luck finding a 50-pin device :). Additionally, higher-SCSI level drives (SCSI-3, etc.) will usually downgrade to the bus being used. I recommend using a SCSI-2 drive however as it will probably save you a little money.

-Adam
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(7,559 Views)
You're right. I counted the sockets on the connector and it is a 50-pin connection. Thank you very much.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(7,549 Views)