From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VXI can't detected by MAX2.2

Hi

I install NI-VXI 3.3.1 to my lapbtop  and connect my device to 1394 port.  Some how the  Configuration tree under MAX 2.2 can not detected the VXI 1394.    I check the 1394 controller under "Device Manager" the status is " working Properly". 

I connected the device to a desk top which used  MAX 3.0.1 and it works fine.  I have no problem to see the device under "Device & Interface".  and can run Resman without any problem. 

I greatly appreicate if Anyone can  adivce on how to solve the porblem and let me know how to download the MAX 3.0.1.

Regards
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,602 Views)
Hi Vicky,
Later versions of Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) should work fine as well.  If you install the latest version of NI-VISA that is compatible with your operating system, you should have an updated version of MAX.  Click here to go to the driver download page.  Simply select VISA, NI-VISA, and your operating system to find the latest supported version of VISA.  Installing this should up update MAX to a version that will hopefully show your VXI device, provided you do not have a very old operating system.

Please try this and let me know if you are still having trouble!  Have a great day!
Chris R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,586 Views)

Hi Chris

I suspect my 1394 port is not working properly. 

I bought  the 6 pin firewire to USB adapter to connect the device with the laptop,  and used the NI-VISA.3.3.1 to setup the USB fucntion  (under hardware wizard).  The computer recongized   a plugged in device but still can't find the driver,  

I appreciate  if you can give me any hint to  resolve the problem.

Thanks

Vicky

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,583 Views)

Hi Vicky,

If it cannot find the driver automatically, sometimes you can direct the driver installation to the folder where the driver is installed.  You may also want to uninstall the driver (after removing the hardware), rebooting the computer, reinstalling the driver, and then adding the hardware again to refresh the driver installation in case something went wrong the first time.

Have you tried another 1394 device in this port to see if the port is bad or not?  I would try this first, so if the port is bad, then you won't have to go through the installation process again.

Let me know how this works!  Have a great day!

Chris R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,568 Views)
Hi Chirs:

I tried two different machine  (same device slightly different on the models) on the same laptop and is not working.  The main problem is the laptop can't detected an hardware is plugged in via the 1394 port.    I tried both machine on the other laptop,  when I plugged in the deivce,  I actually saw the "device Found" icon on the bottom right of the screen and I have no problem to run NI-VXI RESMAN. 

You mentioned that I should uninstalled and reinstalled the driver,  is it refer to NI-VXI 3.3.1 dirver?

The 6 pin Firewire to USB adpater  that I used doesn't come with any diver.   I connected it with the 6pi 1394 cable, with one end to the device, and the other end to the adpater,  then plugged in the adpater to the USB port of the laptop.   I got the message for unknow hardware.   When I go to MAX 3.1.1 I can't  see the VXI 1394 under "Device Interface". 

I greatly appreciate for your help to resolve the problem. 

Thanks
Vicky
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(7,566 Views)

Hi Vicky,

Yes, NI-VXI version 3.3.1 are the drivers I was referring to, but it sounds like the USB firewire adapter may be causing the trouble since this will be seen as a USB port in Windows.  Do you have any other firewire hardware you can try, like a PCI firewire device?  It sounds like the VXI-1394 may not be compatible with your particular USB/firewire adapter.

Chris R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(7,533 Views)