VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-Mainframe with VXI-MXI-2 on VxWorks problem

I have two VXI Mainframes and use two VXI-MXI-2 boards connected. My OS is VxWorks 5.5 running in VXIpc874B. After running resman, it must show borads in two mainframes. but it usually show boards in first mainframe. I try to run resman several times. Sometimes,  the boards of second mainframe apear again. When the boards of second mainframe disapear, the second VXI-MAI-2 disapear too.

How do I configure my system?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(11,007 Views)

http://sine.ni.com/kb/main/p/sb/navsRel?q=NI%20VXI-MXI-2

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/F09CB807E492FAE8852563D500648EAC

Try above first.

Also you can contact Taiwan local branch directly.

Thanks

NITW AE

Message 2 of 16
(10,997 Views)

Hi Fatty,

Thanks for your reply.

I want to clearly my problem. My problem is after vxworks boot up and run the resman, I can only saw the first mainframe's VXI-MXI-2 and my system does not hung up. it works perfact. If I run resman again(maybe serval times), I can find the second VXI-MXI-2 which is in the second mainframe. That's my problem.

I want to simplify my problem. May someone can help me to check the hardware setting first. I will list my setting in seprate reply.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(10,983 Views)

MyController(VXIpc874) is in Mainframe 1 and LA is 0

1st VXI-MXI-2 in Mainframe 1      2ed VXI-MXI-2 in Mainframe 2

LA      1                                                128

S2     Off                                              Off                                        50 Terminal for External Trigger Input

S3     Out                                             Out                                       SMB CLK10 Direction

S4     Off                                               Off                                        20 Terminal for SMB CLK10

S5     Inverted                                       Inverted                                SMB CLK10 Output Polarity

S7    Drive CLK10 out MXIbus             Receive CLK10 from MXIbus

S8     No                                              No                                        VXI-MXI to left

S9     No                                              No                                        VXI-MXI to right

W2    Auto                                           Auto

W3    From onboard oscillator            From MXIbus

U35 - 1   Yes                                       Yes                                       Terminal MXIbus

U35 - 2   Yes                                       Yes                                       Automatic MXIbus Terminal

U35 - 3    No                                        No                                        Change Factory Configuration

U35 - 4    No                                       No                                         Restore Factory Configuration

I referance these configure from the VXI-MXI-2 User Manual. I am not sure if lost some setting.

Another question. Is any sequence to power on the mainframe? Does first mainframe need to power on first or second one? Or never mind this.

Thanks if anyone can check my problem.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(10,982 Views)

Will you send your information to support.taiwan@ni.com.

Maybe we can arrange on-site support.

Thanks

NITW AE

Message 5 of 16
(10,947 Views)
Ok, Thanks your replay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(10,937 Views)

Hello,

Can I know how are you running resman? Are you using a host PC with Windows?  Are you configuring your system visa Remote Systems Measurement and Automation software?

If you are, would you take a screenshot showing when your system can see the first mainframe's VXI-MXI-2 but not the second?  Also, take a screenshot when the second VXI-MXI-2 appears appropriately. 

Thank you very much,

NITW AE

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(10,905 Views)

Sorry! I am using VxWorks 5.5 as my OS. And I can not capture the screen for you. Now my solution is do below function after I boot up. I just call resman() until I find my second VXI-MXI-2 module. But I think that is not a good ideal.

long StartupVXIMXI2()
{
    char szExper[] = "VXI?*INSTR";
    char szMF2Name[] = "VXI0::128::INSTR";
    ViChar instrDesc[MAX_INST_LIST][255];
    ViFindList listInstr;
 ViUInt32 nInstCnt;
    ViStatus status;
    ViSession inst;
    char szModuleName[255];
    unsigned short int nSlot;
    long nRet = -1, bFindMF2 = 0;

do {
        taskDelay(10);
  logMsg("L%d, Searching instrument ...\n", _module_line());
     if( status = viFindRsrc(instGetResourceManager(), szExper, &listInstr, &nInstCnt, instrDesc[0]), status < VI_SUCCESS ) {
         printf("ERR %d, viFindRsrc('%s') fail\n", nRet = _module_error_code(), szExper);
   break;
     }

logMsg("L%d, %d instruments found\n", _module_line(), nInstCnt);

if( nInstCnt ) {

printf("==========================================\n");
         for(int i=0; i<nInstCnt && i<MAX_INST_LIST; i++) {

nSlot = -1;
                if( status = viOpen(instGetResourceManager(), instrDesc[i], VI_NULL, VI_NULL, &inst), status != VI_SUCCESS) {
                    logMsg("E%d, Open instrument %s fail\n", _module_line(), instrDesc[i]);
                }
                else {
                    if( status = viGetAttribute(inst, VI_ATTR_MODEL_CODE, &nSlot), status != VI_SUCCESS) {
                        logMsg("E%d, Open instrument %s fail\n", _module_line(), instrDesc[i]);
                    }
                    viClose(inst);
                }

if( strcmp(szMF2Name, instrDesc[i]) == 0)
                    bFindMF2 = 1;
             logMsg("L%d, %d.%s MODEL %u\n", _module_line(), i+1, instrDesc[i], nSlot);
             status = viFindNext(listInstr, instrDesc[i+1]);
         }

if(!bFindMF2) {
                taskDelay(10);
                instReleaseResourceManager();
                taskDelay(10);
                resman();
                continue;
            }

nRet = 1;
     }

} while(!bFindMF2);

return nRet;
}

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(10,897 Views)

Hello Zodicx,

On the Tornado development environment, I would like to see the differences when only one of the VXI devices is detected. Can you let me know what the sysfail lights and sys lights are during these times?

Thanks,

NITW AE
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(10,877 Views)

Hello Zodicx,

I hope to get more information from you.  Can you provide me the log Resman creates along with the information from the Sys and Sysfail lights.

Also have you checked the mxi-2 cables for any bent pins?

Thanks

NITW AE

Message Edited by ForwardC on 02-19-2009 07:18 PM
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(10,873 Views)