From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

User Group Resource Center

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Error Handling Best Practices

Abstract:

Examine the challenges of implementing a full-featured error handling strategy in LabVIEW and the tools to meet some of the most common error handling needs. Discuss error classification and description; central versus specific error handling; and techniques for communicating, logging, and reporting errors.

Software Needs:

GXML library to be installed (found here). Download the gxml_140_installer.zip, extract all, and then run the installer executable.

Structured Error Handler Reference Library (found here). Download the ni_seh-2.0.6.9.vip, double-click the file, install the vip through VI Package Manager for 2011 (make sure that the GXML is installed first)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(20,123 Views)

I think I found an issue in the presentation.  In slides 25 and 26, the original error is not being passed on since the error is being cleared before going to the merge error VI.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(8,983 Views)

In slides 24, 25, and 26, should the original error also have been wired in at the top of Merge Errors?  It seems like we'd want to prioritize upstream errors over shutdown errors.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(8,984 Views)

Absolutely! Sorry about that everyone but these were some older slides. Use the new updated presentation if you are going to be giving this as the slide order has changed as well as other additions that make giving the presentation easier. If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(8,984 Views)

http://forums.ni.com/ni/attachments/ni/deployment/83/1/ni_lib_gxml-1.4.0.4.vip

Use this .vip file instead of the EXE installer for GXML otherwise you will run into issues with VIPM not finding the required dependancies.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(8,984 Views)

Thanks Simon! I updated the link above to point to that vip.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(8,984 Views)