From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Unit Testing Group

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Interface Testing

Recently I have had several people ask me in different settings about how to do unit testing for UI components or how to do Integration testing that involves User interaction.

I have done in the past some hacks for this using VI Server.

Has anyone tried other tools?

I just found this toolkig in NI Labs for LabVIEW UI Automation: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-29991  Has anybody tried it? what was your experience?

Thanks,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(10,302 Views)

Hi Fab,

thanks for sharing this link, think I'll check this out soon.

I knew, that there are tools for Visual Studio etc. but I wasn't aware there's also an existing solution for VIs.

Cheers

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,803 Views)

Looks like a great start for a toolkit that answers one of my current testing requirements. Having watched the intro video I'm keen to learn more about it and try to find an opportunity to test it out too.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,803 Views)

A few years back there was a LabVIEW plug-in for Ranorex that was on the Tools Network.  We took quite a bit of time and evaluated the functionality, and were about to purchase the whole thing when it was pulled due to lack of interest. 

I will definitely check this NILabs tool out, this area is something that is very hard to test and is so important to get right.

Rob

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,803 Views)

To perform GUI testing there are several tools to choose from, both free and commercial. Currently we have been trying out a tool called JAutomate, which is a third generation capture and replay test tool for GUI testing, which seems very promising. At the moment we use it to test the GUI but it works as well for test of for example the installer.

Personally I prefer to use a test tool that is not part of the development environment for system tests of the program. Unit tests are a very good way to test the functionality of the vi before running the GUI tests.

Fredrik

Message 5 of 6
(7,803 Views)

https://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/ - AutoIt is a neat little utility that helps if you're getting into UI automation.

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(7,803 Views)