USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can NI-USRP be worked on GNU Radio?

Hi, Everyone.

Is somebody knows the NI USRP 2920 can be worked on GNU Radio or not?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 31
(21,361 Views)

The NI USRP-2920 can be used with GnuRadio.  You'll have to build GnuRadio and UHD yourself. 

Also, be aware that the firmware and FPGA images you would use may differ from those shipped with the NI driver.  You'll have to acquire or build the appropriate firmware/FPGA and install them on the hardware.

Message 2 of 31
(21,348 Views)
Is there a way to backup the NI-USRP firmware and FPGA images?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 31
(21,314 Views)

Hi RFSparcz,

The NI-USRP firmware and FPGA images are downloaded when you download the driver.  You can find out where they are stored by opening the NI-USRP Configuration Utility.  Then, go to the N2xx/NI-292x Image Updater.  There should be a file path automatically populated there for where these files are stored.  On my computer they are in C:\Program Files\National Instruments\NI-USRP\images.  From there you can copy the files and back them up as you see fit.  Also, if you lose these files or make changes and want to revert back, you can always delete the modified ones and do a repair of the driver.  This will go through and find any missing or damaged files and replace them as long as you still have the original installation file on your computer.  You could also just reinstall the driver, but that will take longer and should be avoided if you can do the repair.

Sarah Yost
Senior Product Marketing Manager
Message 4 of 31
(21,307 Views)

Where to find the fireware and uhd for NI-2920 to be used in GNU Radio?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 31
(21,042 Views)

Hi llg9012,

You can find the UHD driver at this link:

http://ettus-apps.sourcerepo.com/redmine/ettus/projects/uhd/wiki

The driver also includes the firmware and FPGA images that the USRP needs to run with that version of the driver.

Sarah Yost
Message 6 of 31
(21,027 Views)

Hi 

How can uninstall the labview firmware from the USRP toreplace it with GNU radio??

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 31
(19,958 Views)

Hi yasmine.hassan,

You do not need to uninstall the firmware on your USRP, you simply need to update the FW and FPGA images on your device to match the version of UHD you want to use.  If you want to use your USRP with GNU Radio, UHD is the driver you will use to talk to the USRP instead of NI-USRP, which is used to talk to the USRP using LabVIEW.  The link I posted above shows where to get UHD and also has a link to the images that you will need.

Once you have the correct images, you can update them using the NI-USRP configuration utility, or you can use the utilities that install with UHD.  Instructions for how to do this are in the Getting Started Guide that installed with the NI-USRP LabVIEW driver (Start » All Programs » National Instruments » NI-USRP » Documentation).

Sarah Yost
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 31
(19,938 Views)

Hi, Sarah:

You mentioned:

you simply need to update the FW and FPGA images on your device to match the version of UHD you want to use.

But where we can find the match relationship between UHD and FW, FPGA.  I have always thought that FW, FPGA are determined by the hardware your are using , not the UHD, can you

explain the relationship between FW, FPGA , UHD, GNU Radio and the USRP hardware, I am confusing about this ,  thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 31
(19,929 Views)

Thanks a lot Sarah

So what I need to do is to install the UHD on my PC that I will be using to communicate with the USRP and use that UHD to communicate with it?? I dont have to change anything on the device itself?

I also have the same question of HustLiliAn on the relationship between FW, FPGA, UHD and the USRP hardware.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 31
(19,918 Views)