Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: A UI Challenge and a LabVIEW Response

SimonH
NI Employee (retired)

Todd knows how to push my buttons so to speak and so he sent me the following challenge late last night:

Email.png

Always being up for a challenge I looked at the original article (available at cars.com) and set about creating the same UI in LabVIEW.

About an hour later I had this:

Car UI.png

A fully functional implementation of the same UI in LabVIEW without using any tricks such as importing .NET controls or using picture controls.  I used the original images with a few tweaks here and there so I can't take credit for designing the UI but it's nice to know that it's relatively easy to import fantastic looking graphics into LabVIEW and have them be more than just decorations.

If you'd like to play around with the VI I've attached it below.

So to answer Todd's question.  Yes, I can, and so can you!

Comments
Thoric
Trusted Enthusiast
SimonH: "About an hour later I had this"

This is an exceptional example of what one can achieve with only a little effort! A lot can be learned from dissecting the attached vi.

I love it

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

Very nice. This certainly shows that certain GUI customizations are fairly easy in LabVIEW. I like the curved graduated fill. Reminds of something I did, but this one looks better, because mine wasn't graduated.

Can you post an 8.5 version? 

YogeshaYS

Its a master-piece. The feul indicator and the gauge indicator are simply superb.

sergesl
Active Participant

I am planning to use this UI with one of my customers who actually designs vehicles. They asked me if we could design nice looking UIs like this one in LV. Thanks for this.

battler.
Active Participant

How was this even done?  Custom controls?

Wire_Warrior

Yes, custom controls and a background of course.  I thought there was a more detailed write up of how this was done but I can't seem to find it.   It's a cool UI.  Of course being a long time Trekkie I like this one "https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/sweet-apps/blog/2012/03/06/boldly-going-where-no-gui-has-gone-..."

Wire Warrior

Behold the power of LabVIEW as my army of Roomba minions streaks across the floor!
SimonH
NI Employee (retired)

@battler.

Yes there are a few custom controls at work along with some transparent background string indicators and a transparent picture ring.

I recorded a quick video of how you can do the irregularly shaped tanks I used the for the rev counter and gas tanks that you may find interesting.