From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

SystemLink Forum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Break out of Session 0 / SYSTEM Account

I have a few non-NI apps I'm trying to deploy using SystemLink. I created wrapper scripts for my installers using Powershell App Deployment Toolkit. The toolkit is supposed to prompt the current logged in user to close certain apps and display installation progress.

I built a package with my deployment files and use the Post-Installation action to call the toolkit. When the deployment runs on the target computer, the app installer runs under the account NT Authority\SYSTEM on the Session 0 desktop (hidden from the current logged in user).

If I manually copy the deployment files to the target computer and run it from the user context, the toolkit works as intended.

Is there a way I can break out of session 0 and display installation progress to the current logged in user?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,287 Views)

I haven't tried building a package with a pre-install script that uses this, but my suggestion would be to try calling the following. Msg has a few other command parameters that you can test out and should send a message and create a popup for all logged in user. You may also want to specify a timeout so that it doesn't block your install forever.

Msg * "Please close all running applications"

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,238 Views)