Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to establish a configuration channel

i have an scxi 1128 and scxi 1331. i would like to have two "switches" inside the module. One that connects ch3 to com0, and one that connects ch3 to another channel, i.e. ch4. so in a sense i want to avoid using com0 for the second circuit. is there a way to specify a configuration channel that will allow the connection between ch3 and ch4?

holoman0888

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,729 Views)

Hi holoman0888,

I hope you're doing well.  I realize you want to connect ch3 to com0, and then ch3 to ch4 - but I don't think this is possible without using com0 for the second circuit.  Instead of using (ch3, com0) and (ch3, ch4), can you use something like (ch0, ch1) and (ch0, ch2)?

Refer to the following image (found in the NI Switches Help):

SCXI-1128 HW Diagram.JPG

Close the relays named CH0 and CH1 to connect CH0+ to CH1+ and CH0- to CH1-. 

Open the relay named CH1 and close the relay named CH2 to connect CH0+ to CH2+ and CH0- to CH2-.

Note that com0 would be used as an intermediate node to connect the endpoints.

Would this work?

Chad Erickson

Switches Product Support Engineer

NI - USA

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,723 Views)

Chad,

Thanks for the quick reply. So if i do it that way do i eliminate the need to use com0 as the output for the signals i input? i'm guessing relays just establish a path for the circuit to go through and operate differently than the connecting/disconnecting of channels. thanks again

holoman0888 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,720 Views)

Hi holoman0888,

You are correct.  You do not need to use com0 as the output for the signals you input.

You are also correct in that when closed, relays establish the path. 

This is different than connecting and disconnecting channels, as with channels you select endpoints and the path through the switch is created.  With relays, you manually create the path.  It's up to you to verify the correct relays are closed.

Best regards,

Chad Erickson

Switches Product Support Engineer

NI - USA

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,714 Views)