From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IVI-C switch step open session error

In my current Test Stand 3.5 sequence I start by using niSE open session.vi to begin a new switch session. I then pass this handle along to other VIs for switching, which works perfectly, and then at the very end of the sequence I pass the handle to a niSE close session.vi. The problem I'm having is now I want to start using the built in IVI-C Switch steps. Everytime I insert one of these steps in the middle of my sequence I get an error because the step appears to be trying to open a new session, when one is already open. Is there a way to pass the currently running session handle into the "virtual device name" of the switch step so that it doesn't try to open a new one?

Thanks,
Jason
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,900 Views)

Hi Jason. 

This is known bug in TestStand and it is currently being addressed CAR ID #125874.  Basically when the NISE session is closed, TestStand doesn't actually dispose of the session but rather hangs on to it until the execution window is closed.   

There is a workaround:

Create a statement step after you close the NISE session, and call the following.

RunState.Execution.TSIviStepTypes_AnchorName_For_NISE Virtual Device = nothing

where NISE Virtual Device is the name of the NISE device that you want to end the session to.

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,884 Views)