Software Defined Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USRP synchronization between Tx and Rx

Hello,

I am considering a ranging system based on USRP. I plan to generate a sine wave and modulated it to RF signal to send out, and then receive the reflection signal back. The distance information could be calculated through measuring the sine wave phase shift between Tx and Rx. It requires the sychronization between Tx and Rx.

Has anybody ever implemented the similar application? Or do you think it is possible to synchronize Tx and Rx on two different USRP sets (or on the same set)?  I think the ideal case is to sychronize Tx and Rx from different USRP sets, but I doubt LO on different sets can be synchronized. On the other hand, I guess synchronizing Tx and Rx on the same USRP sets may be possible, but the isolation between the Tx and Rx channels on the same sets may be not good enough.

Any suggestion or further discussion is welcome:)

Thank you.

Zheng

Comments
ErikL
NI Employee (retired)
on

Hello Zheng -

This should be possible with LabVIEW following this paper:

http://www.cel.kit.edu/download/BraunMuellerJondral_Symposium2012.pdf

nabinz
on

Hi Zheng,

I am also looking for a similar application in which we need to determine the position of a moving USRP radio. I hope you could provide some insights on the work you have carried and whether you were able to find a solution for the same

Contributors