From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO-9045 Unable to Factory Reset

I have a cRIO-9045 that I need to repurpose for a new project. Before attempting to reset the controller it would fully boot as observed on a connected monitor. I have gone through the steps outlined by NI to perform a factory reset (https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000YH0uCAG&l=en-US).    After booting from the Recovery.cfg file on a USB drive the controller either fails to boot or will show an error; but not always the same error.

Since the controller won't boot it cannot be seen through MAX.

The errors seem to focus on "Read DMA" errors.  Pictures attached.

Our goal is to do a factory reset to begin a new project.

NI Version.jpg

Errors.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,144 Views)

I have a questions, where did you get the Recovery.cfg file from?  I am having a problem with a cRio-9030 and I need to reset it to factory settings and start over but I can't find the Recovery.cfg file when all the Knowledge base says it should be on my computer?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,103 Views)

The recovery file must be attained from NI Support directly; make sure to have service options available to you and make sure you specify exactly which cRIO you have:

NOTE: This procedure not working for Target devices with Real_time OS ARM-based, please contact NI Support to receive the proper recovery.cfg file. Checking your OS version in Real-Time Controllers and Real-Time Operating System Compatibility

The cfg will likely not be in the specified folder because the CRIO hasn't been fully installed or activated yet, which is what has happened in my case. It's also possible NI was not installed correctly for connecting to cRIOs. Also seems to depend on the model.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,068 Views)

@JLair81 wrote:

I have a cRIO-9045 that I need to repurpose for a new project. Before attempting to reset the controller it would fully boot as observed on a connected monitor. I have gone through the steps outlined by NI to perform a factory reset (https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000YH0uCAG&l=en-US).    After booting from the Recovery.cfg file on a USB drive the controller either fails to boot or will show an error; but not always the same error.

Since the controller won't boot it cannot be seen through MAX.

The errors seem to focus on "Read DMA" errors.  Pictures attached.

Our goal is to do a factory reset to begin a new project.

NI Version.jpg

Errors.jpg

Based on the error message I'm seeing, it seems to be a memory related error, which means either the cRIO may have bad internal memory (especially if the error switches), or, the USB flash drive you're using isn't formatted right for the cRIO:

The cfg file needs to be copied to the [fully] formatted FAT 16/32 USB Driver

I'd try the USB formatting first.

On a completely separate note, however, how did you connect the cRIO to a monitor? My 9047 only has usb-c ports and I don't wanna be buying cables left an right for something that is easily viewable.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,066 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  I resolved this using the USB method but these particular controllers I purchased from Apex Waves so they gave me the correct files to reset the system back to its original state.

As for NI support, they suck in this regard, I need like 20 minutes of support to send me a file but I'm not going to pay for a support contract when I have one product that uses NI controllers and up to this point I've never needed them.  They need to figure something out to help the customers that only needs a small amount of help, let me pay by the hour but they won't even reply to you if you don't have a service contract.

Good products, not so good customer service in my option.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,060 Views)