Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-RT Embedded OS Option

So we are looking at making a small embedded portable test system.  We know that XNet will be a part of it, but other IO needs aren't solidified, and space is important.  So we were thinking about some of NI's embedded cDAQ options running a non-RT OS.  At the moment NI offers cDAQs like the cDAQ-9132 as an RT Linux OS, or Embedded Windows 7.  We have a couple of the Windows 7 versions of this hardware and they are nice, but pretty limited in power. Compatibility with normal x86 applications is awesome, and the c series allows for flexibility.

But before making a decision, I'm curious about NI's plan for the OS option on this platform.  Windows 7 Embedded stopped getting support and updates from Microsoft last January.  So does NI intend on updating their OS offerings?  Today they are selling hardware that has an OS on it that is no longer supported.  Are they going to go Linux RT only for this platform?  Does Windows 10 have a similar cut down version?  Would it even fit on the smaller solid state storage of these controllers?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(956 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

Does Windows 10 have a similar cut down version?  Would it even fit on the smaller solid state storage of these controllers?  Thanks.

Windows 10 IoT

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(901 Views)

Okay, let me rephrase my question for NI.

Does NI plan on offering Windows 10 IOT Enterprise on their embedded controllers?

I think we've gone down the research path enough to realize if NI did offer this that we would go with another solution, but I'd still like to know the answer.  At the moment we are leaning toward a Latte Panda Alpha. Tiny little x86 single board computer with an Arduino embedded in it. If c-series hardware is needed we can add a cDAQ-9174.  It is only dual core, but 8GB of ram, 64GB of storage, and M.2 support. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(880 Views)