From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Random Ramblings on LabVIEW Design

Community Browser
Labels
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Using Images of Bad LabVIEW Software Please ...

swatts
Active Participant

Hello My Lovelies,

Life has got in the way of writing blogs I won't deny it, but I think this is something for all LabVIEW content providers to consider.

When I google "LabVIEW Block Diagram" and select images I get a list of images and here's my breakdown / critique of these images....

I'll mark with a   -  These would be rejected at SSDC and a √ those that will be accepted.

1..3,6,9..11.16,17 too simple to make comment on

4 Simple, could be tidier 

5,9 is a mess of wires and white space 

7 is a mess with wires going all over the place ✗

8,13 a structureless mess ✗ (Sadly this example will be seen by many people new to LabVIEW)

12 OK 7/10  √

14 OK could be tidier  √

15 Pretty good  √

18-20 Could all be tidier 

The ratio is 50% really really simple, 35% ugly mess, 15% acceptable.

I could dig deeper, but I got bored. The summary is that if the image of the block diagram had any complexity to it, it was generally a bit of a mess. Generally this mess was due to no design and lack of care.

This makes me sad, because a nicely presented LabVIEW program can be a thing of elegance and beauty.

Some of these examples are actually examples of bad programming (I have been guilty of doing this too). But wouldn't it be better to lead by example, so rather than show ugly, unpleasant code, show code that demonstrates how LabVIEW helps you describe a solution to a problem.

A thing I am quite excited about is a new offering from DSH Workshops (full disclosure we're the S in DSH). We call it DSH Foundations/Fast Forward and it involves 1 hour of on-line tuition for a group and then 2 hours of support/mentoring on that subject. It's something we can offer at a good rate and still earn money. It allows course material to be customised to your project or situation and we already have a lot of material ready to go.

Check it out here https://www.dsh-workshops.com/ and click on FFF

Stay Safe out there

Lot's of Love

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):
DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile