Labels
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some Homework for you

swatts
Active Participant

As part of my general research I come across some good videos, blogs and websites (some I've linked to in previous posts I'll try not to repeat them here)

Here's a few that I have found interesting.

3 Flaws in Software Design

Part 1: Writing Code that isn't Needed

Part 2: Not Making the Code Easy to Change

Part 3: Being Too Generic

Part 4: Incremental Development & Design + Wrap-up

This is a really good set of articles and is very applicable to most LabVIEW projects.

Reading Code

Software archaeology with Dave Thomas (his example about over-use of frameworks/patterns made me laugh)

Agile

Agile is Dead - Long Live Agility (covers some of my suspicions about glossy words, acronyms and sold methodologys. Note: I like Agile it just grates when people throw out buzz-words without taking the time to understand them)

Design

Enbugging (a concept I really like and links nicely into code smells, anti-patterns etc, expect me to steal this term)

The Paperboy, The Wallet, and the law of Demeter - A nice example of coupling and kind of explains a niggle I have in the back of my brain about certain concepts popular at the moment.

Genius

James Mickens (When I grow up I want to be him, except he's younger than me grrrr, just some of the funniest, most beautiffuly written articles on software development)

Physics of Software (Expect me to be pushing the theme of something "feeling natural" in the coming posts, some of this stuff feels very natural to me - my ambition is to come back to this, but it is a very big topic)

Update on OpenDocument - give me a couple more weeks and I'll have something to demonstrate, when I have reached that point I will stick it on GitHub and we'll see where it take us. I expect to be learning from this, specifically how a open-source project can work with LabVIEW, if GitHub is useful etc etc.

I won't be using XPath as I ran into a brickwall to do with namespaces, a shame as it looks really useful. Luckily there is a nice method in the XML Parser stuff that will get me all I need I think.

Enjoy your homework - Hopefully we'll get some more in the comments

Lots of Love

Steve

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):
DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

Comments