From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Quick Drop Enthusiasts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI usage frequency -> programmable keyboard and Quick Drop

Quick Drop gives you a speed boost because point-clicking is replaced by pressing a few buttons on your left keyboard side. Instead of navigating to the case structure you type:

Ctrl-Space, c, s, Return

Now image hitting just a "CaseStructure"-Button on your programmable keyboard. A macro does the rest. That should save you some more time (1 keystroke instead of 4).

If such a keyboard has for example 35 buttons then you'd better select the 35 most common VIs/Objects/QuickDrop-Actions for those buttons to see the best effect. Mark the buttons with telling symbols and have a nice gadget.

That is where my question starts:

Is the usage frequency of VIs and other structures already know for common code?

E.g.: Case Structures are most common, For Loops are next, then the Clear Errors.vi etc.

To get that information one had to program a VI scripting tool that walks a codebase that is large enough to get statistically significant numbers.

Unless someone -like NI R&D- already did that (maybe to identify portions of code that generate most benefit for the customer when being optimized) and is happy to share the results...

Actually - that keyboard could even be a NI product... hope they send me a free sample for the idea. 😉

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,479 Views)

@Bluegraf wrote:

Ctrl-Space, c, s, Return

Or better yet, Ctrl-Space, cs, click. That's Super Quick Drop, where the object is dropped where you click. No need for 'Return'.

The idea of programmable keys has been bandied about before, but I haven't been convinced that moving your hand over to hit the Case Structure button would be much faster than Ctrl-Space, cs, click, when your left hand doesn't need to leave ASDF position, and your right hand doesn't need to leave the mouse.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,478 Views)

I agree regarding the "Return" - my personal experience is that I tend to drop the object at the wrong place if I only use the click because it's always a double-click for me. That's why I use "Return" but that may well be mostly owed to my mouse settings and lack of training.

Additionally, as a multi language windows user I had issues with Ctrl-Space so I had to move to Ctrl-Shift-Space first and I'm now experimenting with Ctrl-Shift-<. (That shouldn't cause a significant time difference when hitting but it's one button more to press synchronously.)

But the "cs" you mention is still two button presses so we have three sequential presses: "Ctrl-Shift", "c" and "s".

You are right that any benefit of a programmable keyboard is eaten up if the hand first needs to move to it. But why should the hand be at the normal keyboard in the first place?

I can only think of the "Tab" if one likes to use it (like me). I reckon switching mouse pointer functionality vie "Tab" is so much faster compared to hiting the correct area of the icon. For me, "Tab" definitely would go to the programmable keyboard.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,463 Views)