PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would I use a high speed serial instrument over a regular RIO board?

Solved!
Go to solution

What differentiates the high speed serial instruments from a regular FPGA RIO board?  Is it primarily that they allow you to implement and validate serial protocols with less development effort than the regular RIO boards or are there certain things which you physically cannot do with a regular RIO board that you can do with one of the high speed serial instruments do to the actual hardware?

I saw my father do some work on a car once as a kid and I asked him "How did you know how to do that?" He responded "I didn't, I had to figure it out."
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,598 Views)

From what I can tell, it is a data rate issue.  Last I looked, the regular RIO boards could only have 40MHz DIO.  The PXIe-6591R is talking about 12.5Gb/s data rate, which you would be hard pressed to do with a RIO board.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,590 Views)

By regular RIO board do you mean R series?

Add to the high rate of 12.5 Gbps that there are multiple channels on these boards.

HSS boards also have plenty of DRAM.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,576 Views)

Yes the R series. The FPGAs on some of the R series boards like the K325T on the 7822 have the 12.5 GB/s transceivers.  Is there a reason these cannot be utilized?

I saw my father do some work on a car once as a kid and I asked him "How did you know how to do that?" He responded "I didn't, I had to figure it out."
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,541 Views)
Solution
Accepted by blackburnite

The PXIe-7822 was designed with high density single-ended DIO while our high-speed serial devices were designed with high-speed serial in mind. This means that while the K325T has 12.5GB/s transceivers the PXIe-7822 does not expose them in favor of exposing a greater number of the available single-ended digital pins. Similarly, a high-speed serial card like the PXIe-6591 exposes several of the transceivers for serial connection to other devices and only few (20) single ended pins for general control and single-ended digital work.

Thanks,

Alex W.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,532 Views)

I figured that was the case, just wanted to confirm, thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,527 Views)