PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using USB instead of TCP

HI All,

Recently, I have been using PXI for realtime data acquisition. I'm presently using PXI-8175 and find that there are USB ports available. What exactly are these ports for?

I am just wondering, if I can use USB for transfer of data from Labview to PXI instead of using TCP which would support high data transfer rate.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Aravind
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,326 Views)
Aravind,

Communication to USB devices is not supported in LabVIEW Real-Time.

Ame G.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,318 Views)
I want to make sure to clarify this point. USB is a serial communication method talking to many devices which has an inherent large amount of jitter and communication overhead. Doing USB communication adds to the jitter of the system which is a bad thing for RT systems. This is the reason we recommend using TCP/IP for your RT communication.

As to your question of why we have the USB ports on the controller, they are used for the Windows variants of our PXI embedded controllers. You'll notice that most of our PXI controller offerings have both a Windows XP and LabVIEW RT variant.

Hope this helps,

-Adam
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,313 Views)
If I have an usb ethernet adapter can I use it in my PXI-8184 to connect my remote front panel to the USB connector and then use the ethernet connector to my adquisition system?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,281 Views)
Juli,

Can you please post this issue on another thread? For the sake of tracking issues and to make threads searchable for other customers we want to have a new thread for every different issue.

Regards,

Ame G.
National Instruments
Message 5 of 5
(3,246 Views)