PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound output from PXI chassis

Is there any way to get a sound output from a PXI chassis? I'm using the PXI-1031DC off limited capacity 12V batteries and would like to have simple beeps, tones etc. when measurement sequences are completed. Since there is no sound jack, I'm at a bit of a loss. USB to an external speaker, maybe?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,058 Views)

So then it sounds like you are using an embedded controller?  In which case you are right, there is no sound card in these.

Yes there are USB speakers out there that do not require a sound card (cheapest and fastest solution)

or you could also use an external pc as your controller in conjunction with the NI PXI-8331 for remote control of your PXI system (more expensive and you would have to wait for module to arrive to implement)

Regards,

Amiri

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,052 Views)

What cards do you use?

Any free PFI  or DO to spid out 1kHz?

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 3 of 6
(4,020 Views)

There are some inexpensive USB to stereo jack adapters I may try (not looking for audio quality).

Henrik's suggestion is very intriguing, since I am using PXI-6653 timing boards with multiple free PFI outputs that (on checking the manual) can drive 50 ohm loads. I'd just have to verify the speaker impedance and make up a cable with the appropriate terminations.

Message Edited by Magma on 09-22-2009 07:36 AM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,017 Views)

That's a great idea- generate the signal from your 6551/2; you could get pretty creative with the pattern too.

I didn't think that NI's HS DIO cards could drive a 50ohm load?

Let us know how that works out Magma.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,007 Views)

Magma wrote: 

I'd just have to verify the speaker impedance and make up a cable with the appropriate terminations.

You can buy 100Ohm Speaker, 32Ohm is pretty common, or just add 100R to 1k in series to any Speaker you can get.  There are also piezo buzzer that only need a 5VDC (don't know current) or piezo speaker build to be directly driven by an µC. These should fit 🙂

Or use an old activ PC speaker set and just change the input plug. Volume control already build in 😄

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,995 Views)