PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-1075 power on failure

I have one NI PXIe-1075 chasis. It was working fine last week. But today when I power on it, it failed.

There is the 'tick tick tick' sound coming from the behind the chasis.

Can anyone help on this ? could the power supply on the chasis broken ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,673 Views)

I have one NI PXIe-1075 chassis with a PXIe-1033 RT Embedded Controller.  It was working fine yesterday.  But totay when I power on it, it failed.

There is a Power Fault LED which "blink blink blink" red on the front of the controller.

Can anyone help on this ? could the power supply on the chasis broken ?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,263 Views)

Both problems sound like a power supply failure (or your controllers are pulling too much power for your supply).  If your unit is still under warranty I'd send it back for RMA.  If not, I'd contact a sales associate at NI to get tips on troubleshooting and replacement.

-Danny

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,247 Views)

Thanks Danny,

I was able to get an RMA.  My warranty expires in one week.

I wish I had waited for the PXIe-1085 all hybrid chassis.

Any chance that enabling a total of 8 hyperthreaded cores in LabVIEW RT on a PXE diskless booted PXIe-8133 caused it to use draw too much power on the the PXIe-1075?

Thanks again,

Kevin.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,241 Views)

@kmcdevitt wrote:

Any chance that enabling a total of 8 hyperthreaded cores in LabVIEW RT on a PXE diskless booted PXIe-8133 caused it to use draw too much power on the the PXIe-1075?

Hah!  You guys are always ready with a joke, I like that.  Seriously, though, you're right that enabling hyperthreading does indeed draw more power than when it's not enabled, simply because all areas of the core have to be powered in hyperthreaded mode (even those that normally are in standby most of the time).  However, hyperthreading is a normal and fully tested use-case when running Windows on an RT controller - all NI PXI(e) embedded controllers (that support hyperthreading) can run Windows in full hyperthreaded mode.  Therefore, running LabVIEW RT in hyperthreaded mode via the PXE option or through turning the RT controller into a PC Desktop RT system should not have any detrimental effect on the power supply or power availability. However, if your supply was on its last leg, maybe enabling hyperthreading helped it kick its last bucket?  :manwink:

-Danny

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,232 Views)

It turned out that the PXIe-1075 chassis was OK.

It was the the PXIe-8133 that had failed.

There was an Engineering Change Order on the PXIe-8133 that fixed it.

Anybody else out there with any failed PXIe-8133s?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,150 Views)

Did you get any information on specifically what the ECO changed?  Or did they just execute the ECO and fix the controller?  I personally have had a couple pre-release controllers that needed an ECO (but never a released controller), that's really hard to troubleshoot.  

-Danny

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,147 Views)

It was something about a flexible cable.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,143 Views)