PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I upgrade my PXI-8156B controller to Windows 2000?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,633 Views)
1)Copy the folder W2k (extracted from the W2k.zip file attached) into c:\Images\pxi815xb\enet directory

2) Copy the Windows 2000 CD into c:\Images\os directory (you can share a CD-ROM over the network or use USB or Parallel Port CD-ROM)). At this point you can delete the Windows 98/NT image (nt40 or w98 folder).

3) Boot into DOS. If you are using W98 boot disk, make sure to copy deltree.exe and smartdrv.exe (attached below) to that boot disk.

For W98 users: You can simply reboot into DOS or use the W98 boot floppy.
For NT users: Use a W98 boot disk. You can create it on any W98 computer.

4) Run A:\deltree.exe (just type deltree c: and press ENTER) and answer YES [y] to all EXCEPT c:\Images!!!

5) Run a:\Smartdrv.exe (This will significantly impro
ve the installation time)

6) Change directory to c:\Images\os\....\I386 (\....\ in case you added additional folder like w2k)

7) Type WINNT and press ENTER. This will start floppyless installation of W2000. Installer will copy files to HD, reboot and continue installation.

😎 Once the W2000 installation is complete, go to Add/Remove Hardware and Add a new device, and search from the list. Select Network adapters, Have Disk� and browse to c:\Images\pxi815xb\enet\w2k. The installer will give you three options. Select first � LAN9000 Ethernet Adapter (ISA)

9) W2000 will not be able to detect the resources needed by this device so you need to set them manually. Make sure that those are as follows:

I/O space: 300-31F
IRQ: 9

10) You will notice that the display adapter is automatically recognized by W2000.

Trey Hamilton
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/ask
Download All
Message 2 of 6
(4,633 Views)
What if C: is NTFS? Can't access the drive thru DOS.

Can I connect the PXI's internal HD to a different host (IDE). It's not a standard IDe interface (cable). If this is possible, what type of cable to I need?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,633 Views)
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "connect the internal HD to a different host." You could connect an external SCSI drive, or attach another IDE drive, but I have never seen the hard drive itself attached to another IDE drive.

Trey Hamilton
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,633 Views)
I think that LongTyme is trying to do the same as I am.
He is saying that he has formatted or converted the PXI-8156b's hard-drive as NTFS. Cannot see that in DOS
(so not in Win9x either). I think he is asking how to plug it into an IDE port on another machine. The drive is a 2.5 inch drive like is used in notebooks.
The header is different. (smaller and has the
DC power on it as well.)
I have an adapter to do this, that I used to
recover data from a notebook computer harddrive.
I've forgotten where I got it, someplace via the web.
post a reply if you want me to track down the source.
Dave
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,633 Views)
Of course the easy way is if he has an external SCSI CD drive available that he can plug into a SCSI controller, like the PXI-8210.
Dave
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,633 Views)