From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster connection than 10Gbe Ethernet?

I'm currently gathering between 8 to 10 TB of data a day and I'm saving the data to a small RAID device via 10Gbe ethernet.

It needs to be saved to external RAID because it will be shipped daily.

I'd like to improve this by adding a thunderbolt 3 connection which will allow 40Gbps transfer.

I don't see an option available for this? Is there plans to provide thunderbolt 3?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,692 Views)

Hi Ig101,

I know that there are devices available on the market that support the Thunderbolt 3 Connection.

Unfortunately this is not something available from NI and unable to comment for certain whether this is a future plan.

Kind Regards,

Matthew Fergusson

AE UK

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,666 Views)

If you happen to be using a MXIe controller, then you could add a card to the controlling PC.

Alternately, you could also use a x8 MXI interlink to connect the system (embedded or remote controller)  to a sister computer. The sister computer would either house the RAID or at least a fast hard drive to buffer and fast transfer available from vendor of your choice.

Look at Model: PXIe-8383MC  This is an expensive option and requires PXIe. Cable length would be limited to 5m for copper or more $$ for fiber. The data throughput should be at least as high as 200 MB/s per channel with 8 channels (assumes transfer as limiting factor.)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,636 Views)

@blakney wrote:

Look at Model: PXIe-8383MC  This is an expensive option and requires PXIe. Cable length would be limited to 5m for copper or more $$ for fiber. The data throughput should be at least as high as 200 MB/s per channel with 8 channels (assumes transfer as limiting factor.)

Yes, its external connector is PCIe 2.0 x8. Keep in mind that this link has a throughput of about 4GB/s. Which is only about 3x of what a 10 GBit Ethernet link can do.

Ingo – LabVIEW 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, NXG 2.0, 2.1, 3.0
CLADMSD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,624 Views)

Yes, that ~3 fold difference in bandwidth spec is technically correct in a world where the expected  overhead and latency of the two technologies were equal....

I was simply bringing up a current working solution that may not have been obvious given the intricacies of the NI Website.

Message 5 of 5
(2,594 Views)