From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does DB_PLImpotExportProperties throw "Unknown variable or property name. (Error = -17306)"?

Solved!
Go to solution

When I run GenericImportExport.seq, the call to  DB_PLImpotExportProperties brings up the Import/Export dialog. When I copy that step into my existing sequence, the error "Unknown variable or property name. (Error = -17306)" is thrown. I can see no difference between the two. They also appear to be running in the same environment.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,226 Views)

Copy the local variables from GenericImportExport.seq to the local variables of your sequence.

This should resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,214 Views)

Oops, unfortunately I already went in a different direction before I saw this post, and deleted my example. I'm pretty sure I copied the locals that were being explicitly used. I am a little concerned that this implies that the local variables are somehow changed by the DLL call without being explicitly passed. Is that correct?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,203 Views)

So this was bothering me enough that I went back and recreated the problem. I cannot even call the entire sequence without getting this error.

I added a step to my test sequence that makes a call to the sequence GenericImportExport.seq in a separate file (where it was installed). Right-clicking on the the step and selecting "Run Selected Steps" causes the subject error.

I CAN use the tool menu "Import/Export properties..." or open the sequence itself and run ImportExport without a problem.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,199 Views)

I understand your problem.

The import/Export utility is to download the propertly files during offline\static mode.

For dynamic or runtime loading use the property loader step type.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,190 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author gizmogal

Further to the post :

The DLL is not able to find some variable and thus errors out.You can check the code at :

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\TestStand 2010 SP1\Components\StepTypes\Database

However you can copy the step itself into your sequence ( rather than calling the sequence) and its variables.

This will work.The DLL uses the Teststand local variables.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,188 Views)

Okay, that did work.

I think it's unconventional to have a dll make use of variables outside itself - it's not an effective use of data hiding for sure. Dll methods should not make any assumptions about the caller.

But at least the problem is explained now.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,184 Views)