NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Manager Properties

Hi,

I have to create a TS User Management for my organization.

To keep it simple I would like to use the built in TS User Manager. BTW I need some additional properties in user's type definition.  For changing the properties I would like to do it by calling Engine.DisplayEditUserDialog method. As assumed, my properties are missing in this Dialog.Is there a way to override DisplayEditUserDialog to get desired behavior.

User Properties DesiredUser Properties Desired

Regards

Juergen

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,073 Views)

I'm not aware of a way to override any of the Engine Dialogs - this would probably make a good idea exchange post. You'll have to create your own dialog that implements what you need via the API, and call that from a step.

Depending on what kind of additional properties you're looking to store, you might also be able to use Attributes of the User instead of properties. Then you could call DisplayAttributesDialog to expose just those extra attributes:

Capture2.PNG

Hope this helps!

Trent

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,013 Views)

Hi Trent,

Thanks for answer, but attribute are not an option, because you have to click once again user pane. I am able to add more options in user object.
as you see in screenshoot and you can modify it there as well. but you have to click there,too  and changing to pwd will fail there because it is placed as unencrypred text. BTW you have to click and change always twice on different Locations.

The Idea Exchange would be a good option but i need i as soon as possible.

Maybe you have some good connections to R&D and ask them if there is a way to override the complete User Manager pane by customers needs.

Because this is only the first step....

Have great day

Juergen     

--Signature--
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,997 Views)

Hi

I have just realized that NI has published last month in Advanced Architecture Series an article about  the development of User Built-In StepTypes.

http://download.ni.com/evaluation/teststand/Creating_Custom_Step_Type_Edit_Tabs_in_the_Sequence_Edit...

-Thanks for sharing it to ALL users.

When reading the document it seems there are some assembly dll's and TS entrys (figure 4) which are quite powerful. 

So the question is, if it is possible to create user panels inside the editor. Is there also a way to create complete user-defined panes for the editor? Please ask R&D

Best Regards

Juergen

--Signature--
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,987 Views)

Juergen,

The custom step type edit panels are only for the sequence editor. The Edit User Dialog is part of the Engine, and isn't customizable. Like i mentioned, you can to create your own dialog that implements what you need via the API - but this won't replace the existing Edit User Dialog.

I'll raise your concerns to the product owner.

-Trent

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver
Message 5 of 7
(2,978 Views)

Hi Trent,

Thank you for the feedback once again and for placing it to the product manager. Lets see happens during the next years.

But now  i am spending as assumed my time into developing it by using some teststand sequences and dialogs.

It is still pretty cool that there is the open tools menu  that allows this stuff. And maybe this could be a good topic for some future
publications. 

Have a great day and

greetings from the Lake of Constance, Germany 

Juergen

--Signature--
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,959 Views)

Hi Trent,

Do you have something new from the product owner.

Well the last few days I had time to implement my user stuff. I think it is a pretty suitable solution. My solution contains a user and station management over teams and departments and in future over plants. So now I am going to look how maintain it. Quick and Dirty: Just do it in customized tools menu. I think this is old fashioned, so I am wondering it there is away to create my own tab pane.

Unbenannt.png

So best regards and have a great NIWeek 2018

Juergen

--Signature--
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,726 Views)