From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logic analyzer and JK asynchronous flip-flop operation

I have such a simple diagram of a JK asynchronous flip-flop along with a signal plot in a logic analyzer. I have two questions:

• How do I modify the run speed and range on the logic analyzer? I mean this chart is moving very fast, how do I slow it down and increase the range?
  • The second question, according to the theory, this flip-flop should count the signal up and it counts the signal down. Why is this the case seems to be correct to me.

devoreaux1_0-1646648060005.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,030 Views)

ms- файл в студию, плиз!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,018 Views)

The file is in the attachment.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,007 Views)

шаг моделирования надо увеличить, чтобы повысить быстродействие анимации и быстроту счёта

Триггер.gif

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,004 Views)

GIFтригг.gif

надеюсь, чем-то помог, если я вас правильно понял...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(2,999 Views)

devoreaux1_0-1646991365925.png

Unfortunately for me it's still the same. I change the options that you are talking about, after all, after 1.280 sec, the plot on graph starts from the beginning. I can change "clocks / div", also change in "Interactive simulation" -> "End time (TSTOP)" to larger values (eg 1e + 60) and still the same.
Maybe record a video from the beginning so I can trace exactly what you change, it seems to me that I miss something or I do not fully understand something.
I don't speak Russian at all, I don't know why you write to me in this language if you understand English...

And I still don't understand one thing: this circuit is built exactly like the book example of an asynchronous counter on JK flip-flops, which should count the signal up and in my case it counts down. Why is this happening?

Here is the comparison between "book example" and mine. 

devoreaux1_0-1646991821965.png 

devoreaux1_0-1646992093700.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(2,917 Views)

Cool, I've found the answer to the first part of my question, is here by increasing number of points. 

devoreaux1_0-1646997613966.png

However I still don't know why this flip-flop counts time down.

In this "Clock voltage" element, it takes a positive value at the very beginning of the duty cycle, maybe it should be negative first, then positive? I just don't know how to to change it.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(2,905 Views)

Я рад за вас, что вы смогли продвинуться в своих попытках, по крайней мере в какой-то степени. Мой английский застопорился на уровне 5-го класса (1969). Типа: "Привет, Георг! Я рад тебя видеть! Мне нужно многое тебе рассказать. Мой друг Пит, который живет в Лондоне...и так далее.
Когда что-то не получается или у нас не хватает мозгов для какого-то решения, они говорят так:
"Ты не можешь понять это без бутылки".🙂

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(2,900 Views)

Hi devoreaux1,

The counter depicted in your "book example" is called a RIPPLE UP COUNTER. In this kind of counter the FLIP-FLOP for Least Significant Bit (LSB) is toggled by Clock source, succeeding FLIP-FLOPs are clocked from the output of preceding stage.

In the "book example" the clock (C) input of the first flip-flop is connected to the Clock source. Here, there is no discrepancy between the "book example" and your Multisim circuit. Note, however, that in the succeeding stages the J-K flip-flops are NEGATIVE EDGE-TRIGGERED which are distinguished by BUBBLE (circle) in clock input (C) terminal. To make the circuit work as up counter Q0 is used to clock the flip-flop for bit 1, Q1 is used to clock the flip-flop for bit 2, and Q2 is used to clock the flip-flop for bit 3.

To make your circuit work, you can use one of the corrections below:

• Use NEGATIVE-EDGE TRIGGERRED J-K flip-flops except for the first stage (carefully check the image from your book example, the first stage is POSITIVE EDGE-TRIGGERRED while the rest are NEGATIVE EDGE-TRIGGERRED). If you use negative edge-triggered flip-flop for the first stage, the circuit will work but the counter will advance on the falling edge of clock source (Clock).
  • Keep the POSITIVE EDGE-TRIGGERRED J-K flip-flops that you used in your circuit but wire the clock input of the SECOND and succeeding stages from NOT Q (~Q) output of the preceding stage. This means, use NOT Q0 (~Q0) to clock the flip-flop for bit 1, use NOT Q1 (~Q1) to clock the flip-flop for bit 2, and use NOT Q2 (~Q2) to clock the flip-flop for bit 3. The output count should remain taken from Q output terminals (Q3, Q2, Q1, and Q0).

I am only a Free Subscription user of Multisim Live, I don't have access to sequential devices (latches and flip-flops) so I can't construct the correct circuit for you.

The computer that I'm using does not have an image editor so I can't encircle the parts that I'm referring to in the images that you attached.

Best regards,
G. Goodwin

Message 9 of 14
(2,867 Views)

Thank you for your in-depth problem analysis. In fact, in this "book" example from the internet, I didn't notice that the clock inputs are inverted. It follows that when using individual flip-flops, you have to look at their principle of operation.
Nevertheless, I decided to look at a more professional source, ie the book Electronic Circuits: Handbook for Design and Application by Tietze, Ulrich; Schenk, Christoph.
And here is an example:

There are no negated clock inputs here. The output is directly from Q and the description is as follows:

devoreaux1_1-1647430092256.png

A straight binary asynchronous (ripple) counter can be implemented by arranging toggle flip-flops in a chain, as shown in Fig. 9.29, and by connecting each clock input C to the output Q of the previous flip-flops. If the circuit is to be an up-counter, the flip-flops must change their output states when their clock inputs C change from 1 to 0. Edge-triggered flipflops are therefore required; for example, JK master–slave flip-flops where J = K = 1. The counter may be extended to any size. Using this principle, one can count up to 1,023 with only ten flip-flops [...]

devoreaux1_2-1647430416275.png

So from what I can see this flip-flop works the opposite way to my example. For me, there was a change of state on the flip-flop when the clock changed from zero to one.

Message 10 of 14
(2,831 Views)