From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

niemrkw.sys

When I connect my NI USB 6008 device to a machine control (running XP embedded) it always asks for the file niemrkw.sys. If I connect it to a standard desktop PC (running XP Professional) it doesn't. The C# sample code for AcqOneVoltageSample (VS2008) works OK on the standard PC but fails on the machine control. Are these 2 things related? Why does the machine control fail to find the .sys file even though it has been installed in the same location as the standard PC?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,601 Views)

Hi SteveMaz,

Which version of the DAQmx driver are you using? According to this tutorial, only the Runtime 5 is compatible with Windows XP Embedded.

Regards,

Imtiaz Chowdhury
Project Manager
Green Running / Austin Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,562 Views)

I installed the driver from the 8.9.5 DVD that came with the hardware.

The C# sample code problem turned out to be a dll version issue as the versions referenced by the application weren't resident in the GAC.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,560 Views)

This is going to sound a bit backward, but perhaps you could try uninstalling the version 8.9.5 drivers you have and installing the 8.7.1 drivers and just Runtime 5 from the download page on link from my previous post? Also, there is another tutorial that further explains Running LabVIEW on Windows XP Embedded.

Is the C# sample code all working now in that case?

Regards,

Imtiaz Chowdhury
Project Manager

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,556 Views)

Hi Imtiaz,

I'll try that when I get a chance.

Yep, the C# code is running now.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,554 Views)

Hi Steve,

Glad to hear one of the problems are sorted, hopefully the other one will be resolved quickly too.

Regards,

Imtiaz Chowdhury
Project Manager

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,552 Views)

Hi Steve,

Did using 8.7.1 Runtime 5 solve the problem with it asking for niemrkw.sys.  I have the exact same problem on a XP embedded target, but I tried 8.7.1 runtime 5 and it didn't solve it.  Just curious if it did fix the problem for you. 

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,263 Views)

Hi Mike,

the problem I has was caused by a version mismatch between my development PC (XP Professional) and the PC I was testing the hardware on (XP Embedded). My development PC had version 8.9.5 but the test PC had 8.7.1. When I compiled my source code on my development PC it picked up the 8.9.5 version of the NI dll's which don't exist on the test PC. To fix it I recompiled the source code on the test PC (changing the dll references to the 8.7.1 versions) and that sorted it out. To check which version of dll's you have installed just go to the windows\assembly folder and you can see the contents of the GAC.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Message 8 of 10
(5,224 Views)

Steve,

Thank you, I have the same problem.  Development PC is Vista x64, target XP Embedded.  I copied the two driver system files (niemrkw.sys and usb6xxxkiw.sys) from a 32-bit Vista system and put those files into the build, placing them in the Windows directory.  That works.  Thank you for your help.

Mike 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,178 Views)

I have a 4 GB thin-client running Windows Embedded Standard.  I have loaded NI-DAQmx 9.0.2 drivers.  Everything is OK at this point.  I then plug my NI-6009 DAQ into a USB slot.  The PC says that it found new hardware (normal) and then I get a dialog box indicating "The file 'niwmrkw.sys' on NextToINF is needed".  I haven't even loaded my application on the client yet, so what is the problem?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,943 Views)