cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lvdt

Solved!
Go to solution

HI  everyone

I would like to know if it is possible to acquire data from Solartron LVDTs using two different DAQ systems:

- the DAQ Card 6036E (used with Labview 7.1 and traditional DAQ)

- the NI cDAQ 9174 and NI DAQ 9207 (using Labview 2010 with DAQmx).

If not, what kind of NI instrumentation do I need?

Thanks for the answers.

matomato

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,619 Views)

What type of LVDT?

Usually you need a sinus excitation, depending on the type of sensor you might use the analog output (output drive current)

Than for most type of LVDTs you have a one sinus signal output, where the amplitude is the amount of displacement and the phase tell you the direction.

Ignoring effects like (possible) capacitive coupling of the windings, any card with analog output capable to drive the sensor and at least one analog input should be able to read an LVDT.

(I once did it with the soundcard, simply for demonstration purposes)

If you have two input channels you can read the excitation and the output signal, use the tone detection vi to get both amplitudes and phases ....

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,611 Views)

Hi Henrik

thanks for the answer. I am using Solartron LVDT Type DC15.

I have seen in the forum that many people use the SCXI device but I have not that and I would like to use one of my actual devices (if it si possible).

Regards

matomato

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,606 Views)
Solution
Accepted by matomato

A diredt link to the datasheet would have been nice, however google was helpful ...

According to this datasheet the sensor you have already outputs 280mV/V/mm when supplied with 10V DC.

So all you need is a 10V 10mA supply connected to red/blue and you can connect the output (white/green) to your analog input to your 9207

Since the output is ratiometric to the supply voltage, it is a good idea to monitor this voltage too.

Configure both channels in differential mode.

If you don't have a 10V powersupply you can make a first test with a 9V block battery, but with 10mA current consumption it won't last very long.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,595 Views)

Hi Henrick

thanks very much

matomato

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,592 Views)

You should really not mark your thank you as the actual solution. You can change that by clicking on 'Options' above the message box.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,589 Views)