From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cDAQ-9178 PID Capability?

Hi, 

I currently have a cDAQ chassis and I am trying to do some PID control with it. I just want to be sure I purchase the correct modules, though. At the moment I have a thermocouple input and a 4-20mA output.

My own digging has led me to believe I want a NI9214 (to scale up) and a NI 9265. I was just wondering if the cDAQ-9178 would be physically capable of running the PID loop.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,656 Views)

Good day,

The cDAQ-9178 does not possess internal programmable memory. The chassis only sends the acquired data to the computer using the USB port, so, in reality the PID will execute in your PC.

The performance of the PID will be bounded to your system specification and the amount of determinism you can achieve in this PC. There are a couple articles online taking about the performance in Real-Time operative systems that may work as a reference point:

1. Benchmarking Single-Point Performance on National Instruments Real-Time Hardware
2. Benchmarking a Typical Control Application using LabVIEW Real-Time & NI-DAQmx
3. Improving PID Controller Performance

I hope this helps

Alejandro C. | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,627 Views)