From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

arbitrary digital waveform generation

I am a new Labview user and I am trying to generate about 8 or more lines of digital outputs. The problem is these outputs are kind of arbitrary. We will need resolution of about 0.2 ms and these outputs will last for 6s or so.

Currently we have a PCI-6229 multifunction card and using Labview.  Is it possible to do what we need with this? I know it can be done with either 6533 or 6534
card with pattern generation.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,727 Views)

The PCI-6229 should be able to meet your needs.  It's first three ports offer correlated IO.  This will allow you to output digital waveforms or patterns that will have the precision of the onboard sample clock.  The following link will show you an example of how to use the correlated IO.

http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/niepd_web_display.display_epd4?p_guid=E4C68BB4D82A126DE034080020E74861

As you can see, this program uses the analog input sample clock to driver the digital input.  You can keep the same pattern over several samples in your digital output, so that you can choose when the pattern changes.  The software timed dio will not fit your needs because of your need of .2ms resolution.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,703 Views)
Thanks, i am wroking on it now. I may come back with further questions.

🙂
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,695 Views)

Hello Ultracold,

You probably noticed that Steven and I have given you two different ways of performing the same operation  (my post is here).  I just want to note that they are both valid methods.  You should choose one or another depending on your applications needs.  If you need to use your analog input at a different rate than your digital output, you should use the method that I described.  If you need to use your counters for something else, then you should use the method that Steven described.

Thanks,

Laura

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,674 Views)