From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amplifier output voltage changes during high speed acquisition

I have a PCI-6030E DAQ board where the AI signals are connected to the output of 16 individual instrumentation amplifiers (AD620).  The incoming signal to the amp is always -6.87 volts.  The output when the 6030 is not acquiring data is -6.87 volts.  When the 6030E is acquiring data across all channels (16) at 2,000 hz the measured voltage is -6.87 volts.  When the sampling rate is increased to 5,000 hz across all channels, the measured voltage is -6.26 volts.  The 6030E is configured in RSE, with the input range set to -10 volts minimum, and 10 volts maximum.  The AI ground signal is connected to the amplifier output reference pin, so essentially I have a differential input to single ended output converter if everything is working properly...  Attached is a schematic of the interface board.  Question is, why would the measured voltage change at higher sampling frequencies?  Note: at 5,000 hz, the AI clock rate is at 80,000 hz, this is below the maximum AI clock rate of 100,000 hz...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,874 Views)

Hi BigEv,

I wanted to clarifiy a couple things with your post.

1. Are you connecting only one signal at a time while performing your measurment?

2. Do you exhibit the same behavior if you input -6.87 V to each instrumentation amp?

3. Do other channels exhibit unexpected behavior if you are providing input to just one instrumentation amp at a time?

Thanks,

Dustin D

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,850 Views)

Hi Dustin,

Thanks for the reply.

At the moment I have 5 signals connected.  These 5 channels also exhibit some amount of change at high ACQ rates, but significantly less than the channel connected to the -6.87 V signal (probably because the signals are less than ±1 volt to begin with).  Although, the other channels have some amount of change, I haven't had the chance to quantify the amount yet.  My big concern has been the -6.87 V channel, since I am implementing a control system about the -6.87 V transducer signal.

It is possible that the inputs for the unconnected channels are saturated.  I will try putting a 10k resistor across the input to the ad620 op-amps that are not being used.  Do you think that a saturated channel on the input to the 6030 board could be causing the odd behavior at the higher sampling rates?

Kind Regards,

Ev Hall

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,836 Views)

Hi BigEv,

I am slightly concerned you may be suffering from some sort of ghosting effect.  If that is the case you can try a few things: 

• Make sure all of your signals have some sort of defined reference, whether it be ground or another voltage.
  • Check to see if this phenomena only takes place while reading the transducer or is it any voltage source?
  • Try reading just a single channel without scanning through the rest of the channels(this will help determine if it is ghosting or something from the IA).
  • Try removing your circuit and reading some voltages to see if you can replicate without your circuit in between.
  • Characterize your circuit without the DAQ attached to make sure the gain is what you expect.
  • Shorting differential pairs.

I know you may have done some of these things already I just wanted to add them for the sake of being complete.  Let me know the results!

Regards,

Dustin D

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,815 Views)