Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is palBase?

Can someone tell me what exactly what the palBase executable is doing?  I find that I need to use it quite frequently with my pci6013 cards when they are installed in a new computer.
At one point in my software (measurement studio 6 / VB6) I pass DAQ control from one application to another.  Until I run the palBase executable, the second application doesn't recognize that there is a card installed.

If I understood what palBase was doing, I might be able to repair the problem in software.

Thanks,

Max

Message Edited by MadMax on 03-16-2006 03:21 PM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,370 Views)
Hello Max,

The PalBase Utility allows you to fine tune the way that the Traditional (Legacy) NI-DAQ driver acquires resources from the system.  This is done by making changing to both the drivers and the registry. The Unusual Error Messages Loading, Executing, or Debugging an Application When Using NI-DAQ for Windows talks a little more about the utility.

The best fix, would be to upgrade drivers from the legacy NI-DAQ to NI-DAQmx.  The DAQmx driver was created partially due to problems created as we continued to add functionality to the Traditional DAQ driver.  The Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about NI-DAQmx and Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy) discusses why the DAQmx driver was created.  The Transitions from Traditional NI-DAQ to NI-DAQmx and Learn 10 Functions in NI-DAQmx and Solver 80% of Data Acquisition Problems tutorials should help get you started in converting your code.

Good luck, if you choose to convert your code, I think you will be surprised at how much easier it is to use, code, and maintain.
Micaela N
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,352 Views)
Hi Micaela,

I'll read your suggested links, but unless things have changed recently with the NI-DAQmx driver, it will not support the use of Component Works active X controls in VB6.
I've heard a lot about how great DAQmx is, but unfortunately when NI created DAQmx, they kind of left us VB6 users behind in the dust.  It's kind of understandable I guess, as Microsoft isn't even supporting VB6 anymore.

Thanks again.

Max
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,350 Views)
Hi Max,

Good news, you won't need to use the Component Works ActiveX controls with the NI-DAQmx driver, instead you'll include the type library and make calls to it.  The NI-DAQmx Support in Visual Basic 6.0 KnowledgeBase gives more details, but there are even shipping examples installed with the NI-DAQmx driver!

Good luck!
Micaela N
National Instruments
Message 4 of 4
(3,331 Views)