Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to add networked cDAQ-9184 to NI MAX

Hello, I'm facing a rather odd situation:

Setup

• I have 2x cDAQ-9184 chasses on my local network, both with exactly the same C-series modules plugged in
  • My laptop has NI MAX 14.5 and NI-DAQmx 14.5 installed
  • My laptop is running Windows 8.1 x64
  • My laptop's firewall is fully disabled
  • The cDAQ chasses and my laptop are all under DHCP
    • Laptop: 172.16.205.56
    • 1st cDAQ: 172.16.205.77
    • 2nd cDAQ: 172.16.205.79

Observations

• My laptop can access both chasses via Internet Explorer (NI Web-based Configuration and Monitoring)
  • My laptop cannot auto-detect the chasses under NI MAX -> My System -> Devices and Interfaces -> Network Devices
  • I could manually add one chassis by typing in its IP address (172.16.205.79)
  • I could not manually add the other chassis by typing in its IP address (172.16.205.77) -- NI MAX says, "The device you requested could not be found on the network"

What could be causing this? (In case it's related, I also noticed that my NI MAX cannot auto-detect cRIOs that run Linux RT, but it can auto-detect cRIOs that run VxWorks)

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,093 Views)

Hi JKSH, 

Have you tried all of the troubleshooting steps listed in the following KnowledgeBase Article titled "Why Does My Netowrked Device Not Show UP in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX)?"

Shalini M.
Partner Development Engineer
Alliance Partner Network
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,047 Views)

Are you using some kind of a corporate network?

Are you sure communication on all necessary ports is allowed?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,026 Views)

Thanks for your replies, Shalini and stockson.

@Shalini.M wrote:

Have you tried all of the troubleshooting steps listed in the following KnowledgeBase Article titled "Why Does My Netowrked Device Not Show UP in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX)?"

Unfortunately, those automated instructions are for CompactRIOs (under "Remote Systems"). They can't be used for my CompactDAQs (under "My System -> Devices and Interfaces -> Network Devices")

@stockson wrote:

Are you using some kind of a corporate network?

Are you sure communication on all necessary ports is allowed?

As I said in my original post, my firewall is completely disabled. There's no corporate network, and all ports are open.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,923 Views)

So, I tried with another computer an noticed that the "undiscoverable" cDAQ shows a glitch in one of the module names:

Good cDAQ

cDAQ-9184-discovery-ok.png

Glitched cDAQ

cDAQ-9184-discovery-bugged.png

(Remember: I was able to manually add the good cDAQ to NI MAX, but couldn't do that for the glitched cDAQ.

So, I removed the glitched module from Slot 3, rebooted the cDAQ, and voila I could add it without any issues. After that, I put the module back into Slot 3 and the glitch was gone and the system continued working just fine.

What could have caused that?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,920 Views)