Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Multifunction DAQ 6009 supply voltage

Hi all, I have a USB DAQ 6009 that I am going to use for some lab experiments. I have a few pressure sensors that need a 5V excitation voltage supplied to them. I know that USB is 5V, and that you can draw from this 5V on one of the terminals, but I was wondering if anybody can vouch for the stability of that 5V? For example, the max pressure I will read is somewhere like 0.4kPa on a 6kPa max sensor, and it outputs 0-4.5V. Just wondering if I am likely to encounter any major fluctuations at all, or will connecting it to the DAQ 5V terminal be fine?

On a similar note I also have a load cell and an amplifier, which is going to be weighing individual carbon fibres during an experiment, so that will have it's own power supply because the accuracy is paramount.

Thanks all!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(94 Views)

Unless you are using an industrial-grade, externally powered USB hub (like this one), I would not trust the USB power.  I've seen too many motherboard USB hubs fail to supply enough current to handle anything more than one or two devices.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(82 Views)