cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 6366 Analog Input timeout Error -200284 under VirtualBox VM on Mac mini

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, 

I am trying to do voltage acquisition using USB 6366 with NI-DAQmx  C++ on Mac mini. I tried it on Windows 7 VMs in both VirtualBox and Parallels Desktop. It works fine under Parallels Desktop VM but alway reported error -200284 under VirtualBox VM. Even the Acq-Int Clk C example showed the same error under VirtualBox VM.  However, the test panel in NI-MAX does work in VirtualBox VM to get the correct voltage measurements.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,133 Views)

I believe you're using it as simulated instrument, if I were you I would not completely trust the behaviour of the simulated instrument as it does not 1:1 simulate the hardware.

Testing on actual hardware is the only truth.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,098 Views)

I am using actual USB-6366 DAQ hooked up to Mac Mini. It runs smoothly in Parallels Desktop VM but showing Error -200284 in VirtualBox VM. I copied Parallel Desktop VM into VirtualBox so basically both of them ran the same window 7 image, with the same NI drivers and environment. My program was written in Visual C++. Even the official NiDAQmx C example didn't work under VirtualBox, showing the same error.  The same setup w/ data acquisition program works fine on a Window 7 workstation.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,094 Views)

In short, NI does not officially support VMs

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000PAiJSAW&l=en-US

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,071 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author clappertown

The problem was solved by changing the chipset to be ICH9 in virtualBox VM setting and enable usb3.0 controller. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,053 Views)