From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-6289 continue analogic input acquisition with 2 devices

HI, i have to acquire 64 channels using two USB-6289(32 channel each) in order to obtain a

"64 channels, Analogic Input, continue acquisition"

The devices are multiplexed and without an RTSI bus.

I'm tryng to start the acquisition in order to obtain a simultaneous start of the two devices

and a sharing of the timing  so that  the devices all start at the same time,

sharing the same sample clock.

I hope someone can help me,

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,534 Views)

Hello sedysen,

unfortunately the only way to synchronize two PCI 6289 is to use the RTSI cable, but I guess you don't have it:

M Series Synchronization with LabVIEW and NI-DAQmx 

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3615#toc4

Timing and Synchronization Features of NI-DAQmx

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4322 

Another option would be to give the same external clock to both devices.

Regards, 

Andrea N.
Principal Applications Engineer - Semiconductor EMEA
National Instruments Italy
Certified LabVIEW Architect - Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,513 Views)

Hello,

I have the same problem, I need to synchronize the usb-6289 with a pci-6251 board. I think I can use the counter output of the usb-6289 and wire it to the counter input of the 6251, but I have no idea how to do it. Do you know where I can find an example? Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,371 Views)

Hi fr123,

would you like the devices share the same clock or they start at the same time?

In order to share the same sample clock, I think you can export the sample clock of PCI-6251 on any PFI and import it on the USB-6289.

D. Beninato
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,345 Views)

Hi Daniel, Thank you for your answer. I would like that the devices share the same sample clock and start simultaneously.

Here is my setup: I would like to acquire 16 differential AI on the usb-6289 and symulaneously generate and acquire 1 AO and 1 differential AI on the pci-6251.  

For sharing the sample clock it works:

Inspiring myself from the VI found in the LabVIEW examples (Multi-Function-Ctr Pulse Train Generation for AI Sample Clock.vi) I am using the ctr0 output of the usb-6289 to export its sample clock to the pci-6251 (through the PFI12 line). I route internally the ctr0 output to the sample clock of the 16 differential AI of the usb-6289 used for the measurements (on the usb-6289 side everything is synchronized).For the pci-6251, I generate and aqcuire simultaneously analog input/output with the source sample clock set as coming from the PFI12 line (wired to the usb-6289). 

For starting simultaneously: 

I tried to do this: Using the 16 AI of the 6289 to trigger a pulse at the output of the 6289 that will trigger the AI of the 6251, which in turn, will trigger the AO of the 6251.

I have difficulties to trigger the analog in/out on the pci-6251 in order to start at the same time as the 16 AI of the usb-6289. I tried to generate a single pulse from the ctr1 output of the usb-6289 triggered by the "ai/StartTrigger" of the task of the 16 differential AI and wire the ctr1 output to a PFI line on the pci-6251... It doesn't works, a time out occurs (the measurement is not triggered on the pci-6251).

I think the pulse coming out of the 6289 is sent before the 6251 is ready to use it as a trigger?

Message 5 of 8
(3,339 Views)

Here is the VI, sorry, it was the PFI9 input for the sample clock.

Thank you again

Francois

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,329 Views)

Try to change the export signals VI with the following configuration:

trig.png

D. Beninato
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,312 Views)
Thank you very much Daniele, now it works!
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,294 Views)