From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TTL-signal input delayed digital output

Hi,

I have a system (using Visual Studios 6.0, C++ for programming NI USB 6009) where I want to:

Write a digital pulse train triggered by a TTL-pulse from my laser. The TTL-pulse will go into my NI USB 6009 and on the first TTL-pulse I want to start generate a digital pulse train, after a certain delay (in the range 80ns). This is surelly a simple task but I have had great difficullties with it, tried a lot of other solutions but all attemts have generated different errors that I cannot solve. I am new i the area and would besoo happy for glad for tips and help!

//Hanna

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,983 Views)

With the 6009, you actually have a very difficult task. The digital I/O is software timed only and it has no trigger capability. It does not have a counter output so you can't use that for a pulse train either. In order to detect the signal, you will have to do a continuous read, then output the pulse train bit by bit. The timing for this would probably be no more than 1kHz. A software delay of 80ns is just unreasonable on windows. With the amount of jitter on a non-deterministic OS, you might be able to achieve something in the msec range.

A different DAQ card is almost certainly called for.

Message 2 of 3
(2,976 Views)

Thank you so much for your reply! I would like to ask you, what would you recomend me to buy? What product do you think is the best to manage my task:

Receive TTL-pulse, on first rising rest the system (using Sleep(Delay) maybe), and then write out a pre-determined number of trigger signals to another apparatur in my system. When this apparatur has received its trigger signals it perform a task and do then send an analog value which my device should be able to read.

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,943 Views)