From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading the same voltage with 2 different devices

Hi I have a pressure transducer that I need to have 2 seperate devices read from continuousely. This is a 0-10V analog output signal. One system will be sampling at around 10Hz the other will sample around 1-10kHz. Both are differential analog inputs.

Will there be issues if I do this?

Will I get inaccurate measurements?

Do the voltage measurement devices affect each others measurements?

Thanks. An explaination either way would be much appreciated.

-Rym

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,541 Views)
You can certainly have two different DAQ devices running at the same time and neither will affect the other. You can also use a single device with the same sample rate. You would just decimate the results from the one you wanted at the lower sample rate.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,535 Views)

This signal is going to two seperate devices so sampling once then pulling out every 100th sample would not work but I understand. So do you see any advantage or disadvantage to converting to 4-20mA and then measure across a precision resistor, besides the obvious of extra hardware and added labor? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,512 Views)
Quite frankly, I don't see any point in using two devices or two channels.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,502 Views)

Depending on your hardware and application it could have both advantages and disadvantages. In general, adding more equipment can compound error (such as the error in the precision resistor and/or power supplies). However, for very long wire lengths current can be advantagous.

Some good ref. info on how to decide what is appropriate:

Five Tips to Reduce Measurement Noise

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/pub/p/id/262#toc3

Measuring Current with an Analog Voltage Input

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/82508CD693197EA68625629700677B70

Also whether you have current measurment modules is an important consideration (vs. using a precision resistor).

- FCTesting
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,500 Views)

The reason I need to use 2 devices is I need the signal for a PID loop in a VFD (Device #1) and then I am using a PXI (Device #2) to record the pressure at 1kHz.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,476 Views)