From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI 6704 generate voltage more than 10V?

Hi,

I am using a PXI 6704 card to generate voltage for testing an I/O board of a product. The AO range of the PXI card is specified as +/- 10.1V. The Unit which I am testing has AI of 0 to 10V . An out of range test has to be performed I mean 10.5V has to be generated using the PXI card to check if the board is latching it at 10V. How can i achieve that? Can I put two channels in series and generate this Voltage? In the specification doc of PXI 6704 under Voltage section  'Protection ..Short-circuit to ground' is mentioned . What does that mean?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,179 Views)

As far as I know, NI sticks pretty close to their specifications.  If they specify that the board can output up to 10.1 V, it's likely the DAQmx driver won't allow you to enter a higher voltage without generating an error.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,039 Views)

Here are some ways that came to my mind:

-Use an amplifier ...

-add a battery in series to shift the output. (if you read back the output voltage you can even check the Vbat.

-instead of a bat use a diode (or LED) with a external supply to shift the Vout

-using  Cs and Ds to shift a AC output to X times the AC amplitude   ( capacitve voltage doubler) 

Well and instead of shifting the analog  ouput, if the DAQ is floating, just shift the Agnd.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,005 Views)