From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-2722 3 Wire RTD

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to configure my PXI-2722 Resistor Module to act like a 3-Wire RTD Sensor.

I am using Channel 0, with these Relay Positions: b0shunt = Closed, b0 = Open, bc01 = Closed, b1shunt = Open, and b1 = Closed. See attachment.

My LabVIEW program can change the resistance across Pins 2 and 20 which is what I expect.

My problem is I have an Open Circuit (infinite resistance) between Pins 2 and 1.  So my solution will not act like a 3-Wire RTD.  What am I doing wrong and how can I act like a 3-Wire RTD using PXI-2722?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,114 Views)

Have a look at the spec...  pretty high uncertainties  (1% to 10%! depending on range) and 0.25Ohm resolution.

Assuming a Pt(100 or 1000 or ..) :  1K change is less than a 0.4% resistor value change.

Well it migth work with NTCs ... and individual calibration ..   depending on the accuracy needed..

3 wire is not needed 😄

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,098 Views)

Henrik Volkers,  Thanks for taking the time to reply, but I don't understand what your point is?

I am wondering why when I Close Relay b0shunt, that Pin 20 and Pin 1 are not shorted (low resistance).  I measure an Open (high resistance) between pin 20 and pin 1.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,092 Views)

Sorry, I mixed up a source with a RTD measurement device 🙂

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,087 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author KevinBlankenheim

I have my 3-Wire RTD Simulator working. I setup the relays to connect to the external connector pins that I require, before calling ni272x Write Resistance. I removed all references in ni272x Address Bank Relay so they only change the Resistor Relays and never change the shunt or bypass Relays. I changed my Requested Resistance and used Front Panel to monitor Relay Positions and measure the Resistance at the External Connector.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,066 Views)