Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI-6221 Erroneous readings

I have the PCI-6221 DAQ with SCB68 set to continuous acquire at 1 sample at 1hz. I am acquiring voltage and current over time to monitor a battery charger, charging a battery. The system works fine on chargers referenced to ground. On floating chargers I get erroneous readings. I've tried adding a 10K bias resistor from negative terminal to AIGND as described in the manual. I've tried adding a 1M resistor from both positive and negative inputs to AIGND. 

Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated

Darren

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,173 Views)
Hello Darren,

What kind of erroneous readings are you getting - noise or just incorrect voltages? 

How are you measuring the signal - in Measurement and Automation Explorer or in LV?  What input configuration are you using - NRSE, RSE, or Differential?  Are you attaching the bias resistors to positions B and D as mentioned in the manual?  You need to configure you measurement to be either non-referenced single-ended (NRSE) or differential when you create the NI-DAQmx task.  The Field Wiring and Noise Considerations for Analog Signals is a good reference as you get started.

Good luck!
Micaela N
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,154 Views)

Micaela,

Thanks for the reply!

We have identified the problem to be with the voltage scale. I have a 10:1 divider on the voltage so I scale it as follows:

Pre-scaled value

Max            Min

5.0 0

Scaled Value

Max Min

50.0 0

When I try and read 27 volts the value displayed is 10.62 volts. When I read 16.9 volts the value displayed is 10.62 volts. When I read anything below 10 volts the value displayed is correct. For now I'm just not scaling the voltage. What should I do to correct this?

Thanks

Darren

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,148 Views)

If you read the specifications of analog Input of your hardware,

you will find that the maximum and minimum Voltage that the ADC of your card can measure is +10 V and - 10Volts respectively.

Anything above that, will show saturated +10 V reading on that analog input channel

You are speaking of an external  'voltage scale'??, are you not using this to scale down your analog input voltage to fall into the +/- 10V ADC range?

Message Edited by devchander on 03-22-2006 06:32 AM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,138 Views)

I have a 10:1 voltage divider to measure the voltage. For example:

Battery voltage = 24V

Divided down = 2.4V

Now I apply my voltage scale to Map ranges

Pre-scaled value

Max                  Min

5.0V                  0V

Scaled Value

Max                  Min

50V                     0V

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,135 Views)
Hello Doliver,

Look at this KB and let me know if this is not the problem.

Message Edited by McKala[DE] on 03-22-2006 08:46 AM

Micaela N
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,131 Views)

I can't seem to open you're shortcut

Thx,

Darren

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,129 Views)
Sorry, I placed the wrong link, here's the correct one.
Micaela N
National Instruments
Message 8 of 9
(3,126 Views)

Thanks Micaela!

I was using the "Pre-scaled value" in the "Signal Input Rage"

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,122 Views)