Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ni motion card with UMI 7774

i have a dc motor which i intend to control with motor driver BTS7960, i want to use the UMI 7774 with it, is it possible since there is not appropriate options on the control connector of any axis of the motor. Is it even feasible, do i need a motor driver or the card can act as a motor driver as well, where do i connect the pwm, left and right enable etc on the UMI, is it only possible if i use the digital pins on the UMI? Kindly reply asap and sorry if there are some conceptual mistakes, i haven't been able to find much information on this on the internet. Thank you in advance...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(675 Views)

Hi there,

The BTS7960 is a DC motor driver that uses PWM (pulse width modulation) input signals to control the motor speed.  However, the UMI-7774 (and the associated NI-Motion controller) uses step and dir pulse signals to control the motor.  Although both of them are pulse signals, they are not quite the same.  In PWM, the duty cycle is altered, but the frequency is constant.  In step/dir pulse signals, duty cycle is constant, but frequency is constant.  So, you will have trouble controlling this BTS7960 with UMI-7774.  It will also be hard to generate a PWM signal with just the digital pins of the UMI.

As an alternative solution, you can look into LabVIEW community edition with an Arduino board.  You can output a PWM signal using this combination.

BR

John

Add motion to LabVIEW in 30min or less - TENET EMotion
Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post

Message 2 of 4
(658 Views)

thank you for replying, this is actually quite interesting, so if i were to utilize the umi 7774, i would have to use such a motor driver that uses altering, are there some such drivers? besides if UMI is designed for frequency varying control, is it designed with induction or stepper motors in mind? Best Regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(625 Views)

Yes, you're right.  UMI-7774 was made for STEP/DIR signals in mind, which are commonly seen in stepper motor control.  See here for more information:

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000YHvvCAG&l=en-US

Stepper motor drivers are actually quite common.  See TB6600 for a common example.

BR

John

Add motion to LabVIEW in 30min or less - TENET EMotion
Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(598 Views)