From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NPN proximity sensor connection.

Hi,

I am new to LabVIEW, I am trying to connect an NPN inductive proximity sensor to the NI CompactRIO chassis (cRIO-9014). My understanding is that the proximity sensor would give out a digital signal. I have access to the NI9401 module. Can I use a NI 9923 connector to connect the sensor or do I have to get the NI9422 module? The ratings of the sensor are as follows:

Contrinex, NPN NO Embeddable

DW-AD-501-P8

https://www.contrinex.com/product/dw-ad-501-p8/

Input voltage: 10 - 30 VDC

I also have access to an Agilent 6682A power supply which I can use for the source.

Also, while connecting the sensor should I use resistors in between the source and sensor. It would be great if someone could help out with the circuit diagram as well. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,488 Views)

First we have a look into the datasheets: (Bonuspoint for your question, you provided a link 🙂 )

NPN-SENS.png

and of the NI9401

NPN-SENS-3.png

the sensor needs a 10V (min) supply, that's more than the spec of the DI input want to see 😉

so yes, you need a resisitor and to be kind to the DI some sort of voltage limiting in the range of 2-5 V.

Voltage limiting in this case could be 3-5 diodes (1N4148 or 400x or ) each good for ~ 0.7V   or a z-diode with 3-5V or (my choice) 1-2 LEDs, number depend on the forward voltage, a typical blue one has 2,7 to 3,5V perfect 🙂

Since you need a external supply for the sensor anyway with 10-30 V ,

+ supply to PIN 1

- supply to PIN3 and COM.

the resistor goes from + supply (and PIN 1) to the PIN 4

the LED (or other diodes) goes from PIN 4   to PIN 3 (+COM)

PIN 4 (+R+LED) to  the DI

The value of the resistor limits the current . 10k Ohm is a good value. Pin 4 (the NPN output , that shortens the pin 4 to pin 3 (- supply and COM) ) also connects to the DI.

(DI for DIOx of 9401)

Before you connect the sensor with the resistor and LED to the 9401, it's a good idea to check the voltages with a multimeter.

Not activ the LED should lit and you should measure a voltage in the range of 2-5 V. With the sensor active the LED should turn off and the voltage should be below 0.8 (better 0.3) V , I expect nearly zero 😉

Another way with just one resistor (4.7-10k) would need one of your DIOs to be configured as an output to source 5V .. see schematic of DIO1 in the fig. . The switch is pin 4 and pin 3 of your sensor.  But another 'Hello World' and a free DIO is worth a LED 😄

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,456 Views)