Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI USB-6218 all ai channels show the same measured voltage despite only one channel being connected

SachinDon_0-1661246751716.png

Hi all, 

I have connected a load resistor (1 Gohm) across channels ao0 and ai0, and I apply a voltage of 1 V at ao0. The problem is that although channels ai0 reads a voltage around 1V (in NRSE, RSE modes) on the NI MAX software, all other ai's read the same even though they arent connected. Please refer the screenshot above.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(596 Views)

This is a pretty normal symptom when using multiplexed devices, often referred to as "ghosting."  When channels are left floating with no path to ground to bleed off the accumulated charge from the channel you *are* measuring, subsequent channels show (most of) the voltage left behind by it.

A very thorough and classic guide to real-life "field wiring" can be found here.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 2 of 3
(580 Views)

@SachinDon wrote:

SachinDon_0-1661246751716.png

Hi all, 

I have connected a load resistor (1 Gohm) across channels ao0 and ai0, and I apply a voltage of 1 V at ao0. The problem is that although channels ai0 reads a voltage around 1V (in NRSE, RSE modes) on the NI MAX software, all other ai's read the same even though they arent connected. Please refer the screenshot above.

@Kevin has already pointed you in the right direction.

In short, your signal output impedance must be lower than your AI input impedance and any unused AI channel must be connected to AIGND (or at least not floating)

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(564 Views)