Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-DAQ 6.1, ChanWiz doesn't start...

I am using Pentium 500MHz, 128MB RAM and AT MIO 16E. When I start ChanWiz, it never opens. Few days ago it worked, but if there were too many opened programs, ChanWiz didn't want to start. After PC restart it worked without problem...

Now it doesn't want to start even if I restart the PC.

I am programming some application in Visual Basic 6.0 to control some machines with this AT MIO board.

Another question: Does anybody have a tip how to make my own channel wizzard in my VB6 application?
Regards
Gogy
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,071 Views)

Hi Gogy-

Which O/S are you using?  If you are using Windows XP/2000 you should upgrade to Traditional NI-DAQ 7.4 so you can use MAX to create and edit channels.  Windows 98/Me are supported by Traditional NI-DAQ 7.1

Those drivers will install examples for VB6 that show how to perform programmatic channel creation in lieu of using MAX or the Channel Wizard.  These examples install in the "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\NI-DAQ\Examples\VBasic" folder of your hard drive.

Hopefully this helps-

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,057 Views)
Hi Tom,

I am working on Win98, because it is a little slow machine. That is the best specification that I could get with ISA slot (I have AT MIO 16E on ISA), to run this old card...

I already tried with version 7.1 but it didn't want to work corectly 😞

I made a lot of expiriences with this I/O card before it started to work 🙂 and now I can't even run this wizard.

I need it only for reading Analog signals from Lock-IN amplifier and if this wizard is not turned on, the voltage from Lock-IN is not displayed corectly... that means that I can't work.

If there are samples about making my own wizard in version 7.1 then I will try them... or try to find something useful there 😉

I already succeed to use digital channels for output, but the problem is analog input.

I hope I will do something tommorow... otherwise I will have to ask you for further help 😉

I also tried today NI-DAQ 6.1 on other machine with win98 and even lower configuration P233, 64MB RAM 🙂 and it runs successfuly...

Thanks for now Tom!
Regards
Gogy
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,050 Views)
I uninstaled 6.1 first and then installed version 7.1.

When I click on ChanWiz I got this.

Now I tried to Create new... for Analog channel 0, and I selected all needed in wizard and pressed Finish. Program stuck. I already tried to double click on items in left menu, and program stuck again.

I tried with samples to read Voltage from LOCK-IN but when it reads the voltage, the value is incorrect.

Which sample can I use to avoid problems with this ChanWiz ? I think that value readed with samples are incorrect because in ChanWiz there is nothing configured. I don't know why I can't configure it...

I am using Visual Basic 6, Win98, 128MB RAM, card is AT-MIO 16E-10 on ISA slot and I need to read voltage in numbers (not graphical).

Message Edited by Gogy on 12-28-2005 05:21 AM

Regards
Gogy
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,041 Views)

Hi Gogy-

The MAX (aka channel wizard for NI-DAQ 7.1) utility often runs slowly on older computers.  It may seem to freeze for some time, but will usually finish its task and become functional again if you let it run to completion.  Otherwise, since it runs correctly on another older machine, it sounds like your test machine may need to have its disk defragmented or performance otherwise optimized.

To test your card with the NI-DAQ 7.1 driver with programmatic channel creation (i.e. without relying on MAX) you can check out the examples in "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\NI-DAQ\Examples\VBasic\Ai"

EDIT: for spelling

Hopefully this helps-

Message Edited by Tom W [DE] on 12-28-2005 10:19 AM

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,031 Views)
Tom,

Defragment helped me to run ChanWiz 6.1.

It works fine now... but if I try to read value from Channel 0, I must turn on ChanWiz and run TEST (it reads the correct value), then I must close it (otherwise there is conflict because two values are read at the same time). If I don't run ChanWiz and start the Example for AIonePoint it returns some value that is not correct. At first it starts at around 1V and then increases up to 5V (as shown on screenshot picture).

Do you have any idea how to setup this thing to work without ChanWiz and TEST application.

On picture below is shown how I must do to read proper value with this AIonePoint example (the proper value is 4.27V).

Any suggestions to read correct value without starting ChanWiz and Test application...?
Regards
Gogy
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,013 Views)

Hi Gogy-

It sounds like one of your signal pins is floating with regard to the measurement system.  Are you sure that your example program specifies the correct input terminal configuration?  Make sure that if you are using RSE (referenced single-ended) that you connect your positive signal pin to the aiN input and the negative pin to aignd.  You may need to change the input terminal configuration specification in the example you're running.  How exactly do you have the hardware connected now?

Thanks-

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,001 Views)