Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9219 and Load Cell Compatibility/Functionality Question

Hey Everyone,

I am a biologist and I wish I took far more courses in engineering and physics as I am finding myself building more and more unique things for my research.  

With that said, I need a little help and I apologize for the potential simplicity of this but I want to make sure I am taking the right steps before I purchase.  I came across a youtube video by National Instruments (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQTniyInnsI) today and it highlights a project that I am very interested in pursuing.  More specifically, I am looking to build a bite force meter and therefore, I was looking to use the LabView Software, paired with the NI 9219 DAQ, and a load cell (preferably the Honeywell 060-0239-08 Load Cell paired with aluminum plates as it can register up to 10,000lbs of force).  Is the process as simple as connecting all the equipment or will coding, calibration, or anything else be required?  I am looking for a relatively inexpensive option and these materials are currently feasible for our budget but before I jump in with both feet, I was hoping someone could tell me that the process just isn't the simple...but I am hoping it is.  

Thanks so much and I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards,

Craig

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,129 Views)

Hi Craig,

It's not quite "plug in and play" level simple, as you'll need to verify that the output of your load cell is within the specs of the input of your DAQ module, and there is a bit of programming required (although there are example programs that you can borrow heavily from). But overall, measuring one sensor in LabVIEW is pretty straightforward.

I've linked a document below that goes into a bit more detail about how to take measurements form a load cell. It also references a premade LabVIEW example program that you can use as the basis for your project.

Load, Pressure, and Torque Measurements: How-To Guide
http://www.ni.com/tutorial/7138/en/

NickelsAndDimes
Product Support Engineer - sbRIO
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,090 Views)