From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring differential current on NI USB-6255 with DAQExpress

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi NI Community,

I'm trying to log a current signal from a pressure transducer. I'm using DAQ Express and the Analog Input

My problem is that the expected current range from the sensor is 4-20 mA. However the current that I read on AI is pegged at ~42 mA. See the attached screenshot.

Screenshot 2023-05-04 152746.png

However, I'm new to National Instruments devices and software and wonder if there's an important step I'm missing, whether regarding the wiring or DAQExpress.

Things that I triple-checked and had reviewed and verified by a colleague:

* I'm providing sufficient input Voltage (12-30 VDC)

* I wired correctly (wiring diagram on page 3 of https://assets.omega.com/manuals/M5720.pdf)

* The output is outside of the specified output range for this sensor.

Any ideas on troubleshooting this would be very helpful.

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(549 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author milancurcic

USB-6255 is a multifunction I/O module and does not support measuring current directly. You need to use a shunt resistor and measure the voltage across the resistor. Measuring Current with the NI Analog Voltage Input Channels

In the DAQ Express, you specify a shunt resistance value of 249 ohms. Hence given the input voltage of USB-6255 is +/- 10 V, maximum current is

I = V/R

= 10/249

= 0.04016 A

Hence the max and min current in DAQ Express is +/- 40.16 mA.

USB-6255 has a maximum working voltage of 11 V for analog input, hence in actual operation, it can return a current value of up to 44.18 mA.

Message 2 of 3
(544 Views)

Thank you, very helpful. We were able to measure the expected signal output on another device that has a built-in shunt resistor. I'm a novice in electronics so it wasn't apparent to me that I needed a resistor. I'll get some and follow the resource doc you linked to measure current via voltage input as you suggested.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(524 Views)