cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring 4-20 mA signal from a Pressure Sensor using NI 9219 DAQ

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi ,

I have a Pressure sensor ( Omega PX119 150GI) which outputs current in the Range of 4-20 mA and a measuring range of 0-150 psi. I also have a Compact DAQ with a USB serial port and an NI 9219 Universal DAQ. Could someone please let me know how to make the connections and measure the pressure using LabVIEW?  I am fairly new to this topic and help would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much in Advance,

Cheers,

Sid

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,094 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author SidBeckham07

I am just consolidating the information from multiples sources

1. NI 9219 Getting started guide - https://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374473f.pdf
  2. Omega PX119 sensor - http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2920183.pdf

Your sensor specifies the pinout as highlighted below,

santo_13_0-1617593298030.png

For each channel in NI 9129 DAQ, below is the pinout to connect a sensor in the current mode.

santo_13_1-1617593307415.png

With these two pieces of information, you have to connect Sensor+ to HI and Sensor- to LO.

In order to use LabVIEW to collect data, use the below-highlighted example, (navigate to Help->Find Examples...)

santo_13_2-1617593521217.png

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 2 of 5
(2,025 Views)

Hi Santosh,

Thank you so much for your reply. 

I had a few doubts regarding configuring the sensor in LabVIEW.:

- When I choose current continuous sampling, How do I convert that signal into Pressure?

- When I choose a Pressure VI example, It asks for electrical units in volts. What should I give the values as since my sensor outputs current.

I have attached picture for both cases. Could you please help me out with this issue.

Thank you so much in advance,

Regards,

Sid

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,003 Views)

Hi Santhosh,

Thank you so much for your help. I configured the sensors to work using NI 9219 DAQ.

Regards,

Sid

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,917 Views)

Hi Sid,

Did your pressure sensor require a voltage supply? 

I have a Hydrotechnik Pressure Sensor which requires a supply of 12-32VDC and gives an output of 0-10V. The supply is higher than the internal excitation voltage that the NI 9219 is capable of (and this is the only module I have easy access to) so I need an external power source.

I've seen on many forum posts that the NI 9219 can't handle external voltage excitation but is this just for bridge circuits? Since I just want to measure voltage do you know if my proposed setup work? I don't want to damage the hardware.

I'm new to this area so any help would be much appreciated!

Emily

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,795 Views)