Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Drivers for USB-6229 DAQ

Solved!
Go to solution

I'd like to use a USB 6229 with Linux and the driver support selection guide says this model is unsupported.  However, the 6218 and others are supported.  Is it possible to use the 3.5B driver set for a USB 6229 with reduced functionality?  Is it possible, with some basic Linux driver coding knowledge, to modify the 3.5B drivers to work with a USB 6229?

Regards,

Craig

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,716 Views)

Hi Craig,

Unfortunately there isn't really a way to do this. The 6229 and 6218 are from the same M series DAQ family. However, their different functionality means they have different hardware architectures. Furthermore there isn't a simple way to modify the driver specifically for the USB 6229. To develop a custom driver for the device you would have to know the low-level driver commands and the hardware architecture of the device itself.

Sorry. Hopefully this helps clarify though.

Chris G

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,701 Views)

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply.

I have downloaded the B3.5 driver package, and in the readme there is a section that suggests the PCI version of the 6229 has driver support in Linux.  Is this correct?

Regards,

Craig

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,699 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author OptEng

Hi Craig,

That is correct.

Best,

Jeff S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,673 Views)

Hello Craig,

I'm also interested in using USB-6229 DAQ under linux and I have no idea what B3.5 driver package is

I wonder if you can proivide a link for that package

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Hosam

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,419 Views)

The 8.0.2 driver set is better for Linux, it contains an extended library of function calls.

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-daqmx-8.0.2/2322/en/

It works well on Scientific Linux 5.  SL 6 wasn't as easy.  The Red Hat and SUSE installations weren't tried here.

The B3.5 driver set is limited in functionality.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,406 Views)

Thanks for the reply Smiley Happy

I'm actually using Ubuntu, is there a version for Ubuntu?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,393 Views)

I'm not in any way associated with NI (obligatory disclaimer :^) )...

I would recommend abandoning Ubuntu in favor of a supported Linux variant unless you really like recompiling kernels.  If you choose the Ubuntu route, there are other people on this forum who have recompiled unsupported Linux variants with varying degrees of success.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,385 Views)