From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase external voltage from NI USB 6008

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

is it possible to increase the voltage coming from the pin 31?

I want to supply a relay which needs 5 - 12 V with the DAQ. But it doesn't work because it doesn't get quite to 5 Volts.

So I need more volts... the current of 200mA is plenty. The relay only needs 20mA

So can i just use a voltage converter or is there another way?

Is it possible to connect the 2.5 V pinout to the 5 V and get 7.5 V?

Greetings and thanks for helping 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,758 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bobikobi

If your relay (datasheet?) works with 5V and draw only 20mA you should be able to drive it with the 5V+ (pin31) ... will it work when you connect it directly

BEWARE Do this always together with a 'free wheeling diode! to protect the 6008 5V from back EMF when disconnecting an inductor (relay coil))

However I assume you want to control the relay using a DO pin... and 'loose' some voltage .. a proper selected transistor can help.

@bobikobi wrote:

Is it possible to connect the 2.5 V pinout to the 5 V and get 7.5 V?

No.

but you can use an external voltage supply .. (another 5V from another USB or ...)

But from your questions I have the impression, that you are not quite familar with electronics, so my advice would be to make a plan of what you want to connect how  and discuss it here or with some else BEFORE atually connecting it.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,709 Views)